Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Tuesday at the Table

This may be one of the stranger Tuesday at the Table posts, but the truth is, we like eggs on top. Though I'm not the egg-on-a-burger fan that hubby is, almost anything else is fair game. So when I saw the cookbook Eggs on Top: Recipes Elevated by an Egg by Andrea Slonecker, I couldn't help but buy a copy. And no, it's not rocket science to put an egg on top, but it's a fun book just the same. 

The first recipe I tried, Baked Sweet Corn Polenta with Tomato Sauce and Eggs was a keeper for sure. Yum. And so were the Sage-Brown Butter Eggs - basically sizzling some sage leaves in melted butter, then frying said eggs as that butter browns. We put ours on top of cheesey, bacon-filled breakfast potatoes. oh yeah.


Huevos Rancheros, Breakfast Pizza, and Poached Egg and Arugula Salad Bruschetta are just a few of the egg-topped dishes we've enjoyed. There's plenty more enticing ideas in 10 Dishes that are Better with an Egg on Top and 27 Things You Should Put an Egg On (or Inside). Plus check out the #eggsontop hashtag on Instagram. What do you like eggs on top of?

9 comments:

  1. Like you, I think eggs and potatoes are a perfect match. There is nothing more delicious than breakfast for supper starring crispy fried potatoes, sautéed buttery onions, two soft poached eggs and a couple shots of hot sauce!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love eggs poached in tomato sauce with crusty bread. Mmm! I haven't made that in a while, but I should.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like to make mashed sweet potato and top it with sauteed shallots, crumbled pepper bacon and crown it with a couple fried eggs. Add a fresh salad and it is a wonderful dinner......or breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Over easy eggs on top of my moms stacked enchiladas...
    On top of a bowl of fresh cooked spinach
    In/ On a bowl of grainy soup

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just spotted this recipe this morning. It's crying out for an egg on top!
    http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-stovetop-brussels-sprouts-hash-with-crispy-sage-and-walnuts-225066

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know why anyone would put an egg on anything! Ha. I wish I did because I miss out on so many different dishes that are predominately eggs. I can make a mean deviled egg - just don't ask me to eat it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness all of that sounds great! My favorite is rice, cooked vegetables, a nice cut of beef and a well cooked egg with it all piled in a bowl! Also a boiled egg in gumbo but that is inside and not really on top!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just reading through the comments has made me hungry and I want to try some of their ideas. I like to put an egg on top, usually a poached one, on top of stirfried spinach or greens, sauteéd mushrooms, homemade baked beans, yum.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum! I only started eating over easy eggs around my mid-20's, prior to that I would eat eggs scrambled, the yolk only (as a child, dipping toast in it) or not at all. Now I love them and we have an easy brinner at least once a week. Those sage butter ones look amazing!

    ReplyDelete