Thursday, February 18, 2016

A First

Well something pretty exciting happened today! My phone's notifications started going off like crazy and well wouldn't you know . . . Mod Mood had won first place in the group category at QuiltCon!

 photo by playcrafts


 photo by tiffanybaxter

My bee-mate, Stephanie/Spontaneous Threads, was nearby and able to go on stage with Jacquie Gering and acknowledge the award on behalf of Bee Sewcial.


photo by kristenballou

I really appreciated all the congratulations and photos shared today - it really helped me feel ok about not actually being there. My friend Kristen sent me a close up of that awesome ribbon, and I thought you might like to know what the card below it says. (Well I was curious anyway!) After my name, guild, and Instagram id, it says:

Pieced with Stephanie Ruyle, Leanne Chahley, Karen Foster, Felicity Ronaghan, Kari Vojtechovsky, Melissa Richie, Diane Stanley, Marci Debetaz, Hillary Goodwin.

Mod Mood was created in conjunction with Bee Sewcial, an improv, solids-only bee where members are encouraged to push their creative boundaries, try new methods, and be inspired by singular prompts. The bee's prompt for this quilt was a Pinterest board filled with Mid-Century Modern designs, including a MCM color palette.

Techniques: Machine pieced, machine quilted without a frame - the quilt moved under the stationary needle, improvisational piecing, faced binding.

Cool, huh? Wow. I'm still feeling pretty astonished, and now I think I'll go do what I have yet to do today - scroll through Instagram and see what I missed!

Here's a list of all the QuiltCon 2016 Winners and photos of their quilts . . .

46 comments:

  1. Congratulations! This quilt is so unique and one of my for ever favourites! x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, Debbie! So exciting, and so well deserved!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful news! A very well deserved win for a stunning quilt.

    Smiles
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations. I agree..well deserved.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just saw the MQG post!! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats.....I'm so excited for you.....I love this quilt!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So happy for you! How exciting!! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations, Debbie! Well done. I'm so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with Teje! It's amazing and it's well deserved!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations Debbie this is so so great for you and your bee mates! Love this so much!

    ReplyDelete
  11. so pleased for you and your awesome bee! This is such a stunning quilt and deserved it's award!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This makes me happy! It's an amazing quilt and well deserving of a first place ribbon! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  13. BIG congrats! It truly is a modern quilt, a landmark, and deserving of this award!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations! Well deserved. I love this quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow ! Congratulations Debbie for this first place. This quilt really deserves it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yay for us! So proud to be part of this gorgeous quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful! I love the shapes, colors and movement. Congratulations to all!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sew awesome Debbie~congrats to all, it's a very cool quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congratulations Debbie! I love everything about the quilt! I would love to join a bee like this.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow - Congratulations! Your quilt is so fun to look at and you did a great job putting it all together.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am so happy for you! Congrats and well deserved!

    ReplyDelete
  22. That's so fantastic Debbie! Congratulations to you and your bee mates!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Congratulations to you and you fellow quilters!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Congrats! I was excited when I was scrolling through the winners and saw it. Well deserved, it's a great quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  25. So excited when I saw your quilt pop up on the awards post. Congratulations!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. It is a fantastic piece! Congratulations!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow congratulations. A very well deserved ribbon for an amazing quilt

    ReplyDelete
  28. Congratulations Debbie this was a well deserved award for a unique quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh gosh, Debbie! Look at YOU! From not having put a quilt in a show... to this! How you've grown, and flourished! I am very proud of you. Congratulations, and more congratulations. And a hug too.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Congratulations! It really is a stunning quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Congratulations! I love this quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  32. So glad to see that first place ribbon on this powerhouse quilt. It reminds me of a visit to my Uncle's apartment in NYC in the 60s. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  33. It's even more beautiful in person. So humbled to be able to have my name among the makers.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I can't remember if I've commented here or not, but I'm so impressed! Congrats to you and your bee! Such an amazing honor!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Congratulations! What a cool quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Congratulations Debbie! I loved seeing this quilt take shape here, and then seeing it in person with the rosette at QuiltCon! We missed you there ... Savannah?

    ReplyDelete
  37. I am beyond thrilled and so proud of you Debbie! An amazing, well deserved accomplishment

    Hillary

    ReplyDelete
  38. This is stunning. Love what you create in this bee!!! Holla if there is ever a space open!!xo

    ReplyDelete