Monday, February 1, 2016

Pantone Meets Bias Tape

It's been interesting seeing all the Instagram posts using the #mightylucky hashtag throughout January. It seemed the minute the first Mighty Lucky Quilting Club email went out, folks were embracing Krista Fleckenstein's challenge: Shapes and Curves Using Bias Tape. 

Now bias tape applique is not something I had even considering attempting. I mean, there's plenty else I do try, and I can't honestly say I was even tempted before. But I was curious about those bias tape makersand that plus the spirit of learning, I ordered a 1/2" one along with the 1/4" wonder tape Krista suggested.  And they sat for nearly the whole month, until this last weekend when I figured it was then or never.


For fabric, I decided to kill two birds with one stone, and I grabbed the Pantone solids I'd purchased to have on hand. According to Kate SpainModa's Bella Solids in Bubble Gum and Blue were a good match. 

Photo by Kate Spain; used by permission.

And comparing them to my Rose Quartz and Blue swatches, I think she was spot on.



For the background, I chose "The Big One on White" print from Carolyn Friedlander's Carkai, thinking the subtle design would be a good backdrop for the minimalist design I had planned.


I gotta tell you, the making of the bias tape was a breeze. For 1/2" tape, you cut 1" bias strips, and the only snag I had was even though I pressed the bias seams open as directed, pulling them through the bias tape maker closed them up. Not a crisis, but a bit fiddly. Unfortunately, I had issues implementing the curves in said design. I'm not sure if it was just me or what, but my tape didn't curve well, and I just didn't have the patience for it. Fact is, even when I decided to do sharp corners, I couldn't seem to miter them like Krista did. So I did what I knew, pressed well, and added bulk didn't seem to be an issue. Ok then.

So I got so far as getting my new design sewn on (pretty painless with that wonder tape by the way) and then had a dilemma: Is it 'ok' to quilt on top of bias tape applique? Consulting a friend, we agreed it must be, so I started in. An organic straight-line grid sounded fun, and I liked the idea that it could add hints of the elusive curves back into my little quilt. Mostly I used Aurifil 50wt #2024 (white), but also added just a few random lines of #2770 (very light delft), which is a really nice match for the Serenity.


My project measures 17" square, bound in more of that Serenity, and in a rush to a finish, I machine-stitched it down. I was feeling pleased to have tried something new, and anxious for it to be done.



So am I glad I tried it? Definitely? Will bias tape become a staple in my sewing repertoire? Hardly. But overall it was an enjoyable diversion, and I am especially glad to have used some of those Pantone colors - I've become quite fond of Serenity. And now I'm anxious to see what February's challenge might be!

Linking up with Finish It Up Friday!

12 comments:

  1. It looks awesome! I am always impressed by project done with bias tape, one of my favorite quilts form QuiltCon last year was in the bias tape category.

    ReplyDelete
  2. interesting. Not something I am dying to try but I like your little quilt. Good thinking to use the Pantone colors & kill two birds with one stone

    ReplyDelete
  3. You continue to inspire me to try new things Debbie! I love the graphic nature of your mini. While the lines are dramatic, the soft colours are an excellent foil to them, softening the overall look. And again, the quilting adds another layer of interest!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Debbie, I love that you are always willing to try something new. Good thinking to incorporate the Pantone colors - two challenges with one quilt! Love the minimalist look you took!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did you cut your strips on the bias? That is the only way they would curve easily, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've tried bias tape one time. I've been seeing so many quilts with this method, I hope to give it a try one more time. Your mini is wonderful...plus you used Pantone colors!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a productive project! One of the things I love so much about quilting is that there is always so much to learn!

    ReplyDelete
  8. NIce little quilt. I like the idea of two birds with one stone too. Can't beat getting two things accomplished with one project. I bought one of the bias tape makers a long long time ago and still haven;t tried it. I have a lot of bias ideas so maybe I should try one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Debbie,
    You really inspire us to take on something new and follow through with at least one project. And as you experienced it isn't always something you would choose to do again, but now you know that and won't add it to a major project that depends on it in the design (without having a clue what it entails). Bravo!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Interesting challenge, I like the lines in this, especially how the wavy quilting contrasts with the bias tape.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do like it. Congrats to you for trying something new.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is really great! I love modern quilts and am new to quilting. I'm working on a mini quilt right now which is what brought me to your website (through a pin on Pinterest of another mini you made). For years I scrapbooked and did challenges and used products for my local scrapbook store that I normally would not have picked but I enjoyed those challenges and getting out of my comfort zone. I always liked going back but there is something satisfying about learning something new!!

    ReplyDelete