Monday, February 8, 2016

Poster in Coral


The idea for this quilt came from a poster block I made last year for Kari/Craft happy in the Bee Sewcial bee. I know it's crazy, but I've thought about that block (shown below) off and on ever since, wanting eventually to make it into a quilt. I've had a couple of yards of Kona Coral in my stash for when the time presented itself, and a couple of weeks ago at a SMQG sew-in, it finally did.


The actual quilt I created is very similar, yet just a tad different in than I didn't use exactly the same colors in the accent bits and I surrounded the basic 'block' with some negative space. If I have a disappointment, it's that on version 2.0 (below), the hot pink segments don't show up well. They are a subtle accent when you view the piece in person, but they aren't an obvious element in most of the photos. But they are there!


With a design so simple, I really wanted to add some interest with the quilting. Seven colors of Aurifil 50wt played major roles: 2024 (white), 2140 (mustard), 2230 (medium peony), 2250 (red), 2530 (blossom pink), 2692 (black), 2805 (light turquoise). An eclectic mix, yes, but I think they work, and boy did it make the quilting itself an interesting experience.


Matchstick quilting for the win!


For the backing, I had pieced together some scraps I'd been playing with and placed them amongst long swaths of solids I'd used on the front, leaving enough coral for binding that almost got all the way around the quilt. The last bit of binding was done in the deep red used in one single segment of the front. Coral and red may seem an incongruous combo, but for some reason I loved it.


This quilt finished at 30" x 40", and I can finally mark it off my list. One of my goals for this year was to try some of my own designs just for the fun of it, and in this poster in coral, I definitely did.


And yeah, I had a hard time deciding what photos to include in this post. There's even more in my Flickr photostream . . .

19 comments:

  1. This quilt is excellent! I love everything, especially the matchstick quilting in multi colours. And your photos are so good too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That last photo - gasp! It's been fun to watch you experiment with minimalism. My favorite part is the slightly hidden pink!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is fabulous. Love the quilting on it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a fun photo shoot for your fabulous quilt! love the simplicity of the design and the matchstick quilting

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that last photo. So much colour in it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my, your photo shoot feed gets me every time. The quilt is amazing of course but that extra visual bonus of seeing it out and about so artfully photographed really makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's beautiful Debbie! I love the pink, coral and red! The last photo is spectacular! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I knew this was you Debbie. You have your own look and I love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. your piece is stunning and the site for the last photo is stunning as well - can you tell me where you took this photo? I would love to recreate this into a cityscape quilt and may need permission to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great quilt Debbie! Coral is a wonderful colour- I am wearing it today!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fantastic, in all of the ways mentioned above! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  12. How fun Debbie! Isn't it a great feeling to take something from the idea stage all the way to a finished project?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the coral, and the quilting is so yummy! I am also trying to make more things from my own designs... I love the cityscape wall, that would make a great quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This quilt it fantastic Debbie and your photos just amazing! I agree with Lynda: the last photo is my favourite and those houses would make great quilt. x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  15. the matchstick quilting looks like it would be quite good fun. I will have to try it out one day :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really, really like this! The colours are amazing and the quilting is so much fun. I really should try quilting with different colours like that. Great finish!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, the quilting, amazing! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Don't know how/why I missed this on the first go-round. Wonderful quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love everything about this quilt. Perfect size to match stitch;)

    ReplyDelete