Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Getting to Know You, Juki

I’ve had my JUKI TL-2010Q for about 6 weeks now and felt a mini review was in order. If for no other reason, I am glad I got it for its excellent stitch. I experienced a lot of variance in stitch with my other machine, especially depending on my speed. The Juki is SO consistent.



Though the Juki gets super reviews for free-motion quilting, I have yet to try that. At heart, I'm a walking-foot quilter, so that's all I've done so far. I've read folks suggest that you don’t need to use the walking foot to do quilting – just use the regular foot. But the regular foot is a scant quarter inch, and though it's fine for basic stitching, I really like the heft and width of the walking foot when I am quilting. I have also heard many people complain about the noise, but I don’t find mine any different than I'm used to, and definitely not excessive. I did on my first go find that the needle rubbed the edge of the foot, but a little tweak/twist on the foot took care of that. So personally, I find using the walking foot a very positive experience.

After quilting for a while though, the walking foot was squeaking just a bit. I was reminded that the presser foot tension should be adjusted (turn the knob on top so the line in the window is at the very top). I did that and the squeak decreased, but my stitches weren't as consistent, so I dialed it down a bit until I was satisfied. So I'll continue to explore that - maybe the fabric or batting choices can make a difference?


As far as that scant 1/4" foot goes, I bought a true ¼” foot from another company and it fits and works just fine. And I do like having both options, depending on what I'm sewing.

The Juki is known for it’s SPEED, which I take advantage of more for piecing than quilting. It can go half again as fast as my other machine, but is adjustable, not that I've turned it down yet. {grin}

Another feature I'd heard alot of negativity about was the needle-threader, and at first it was a little tricky (read: unreliable). But after a bit of use, I got my success ratio up to 75% or so. Then I watched a video by Maya Aralimatti, and though I'd been doing everything right, she mentioned putting the presser foot down right before the final step of threading, and now I thread it successfully nearly every time. I also make sure my needle is all the way up, which seems to make a difference. Just for the record, I really only use Aurifil, and the Juki seems happy with my choice.

I LOVE the thread cutter on the pedal. I'm less used to using the knee bar, so I go in spurts with using that.



At first, I was sewing without the included sewing table, but added it when I started quilting. Silly me, I showed hubby how uneven it was with the base of my machine, and he knew right off that its legs were adjustable. doh. Now it's perfect.



So far, there are really only two small items I'm not 100% happy with. One is that the thread-cutter leaves the thread tails very short. It can be a bother, but is manageable; the other is I'm used to having my presser foot raise and lower automatically when I stop and start sewing. So I miss that but again, I'm adjusting. So yeah, I'm really pleased. Kinda can't get enough of it!

28 comments:

  1. thanks for your thorough review. I've often wondered what the big appeal was with the Juki machines.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been thinking about buying this, would love to know what you think about fmq. When it cuts the thread do you have to remember to pull it out to lengthen before sewing so the needle doesn't come unthreaded?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Debbie, thank you for the review! I have been considering this machine for awhile and what you have told me really helps!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the link to the quarter inch foot. I had the same exact problem with that foot and it drove me nuts. I switched back to the regular foot, which has been a bit of a challenge.

    I have had my Juki for a little longer and I have never sewn on a more efficient and consistent machine prior to owning it. It is quite wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the link to the quarter inch foot. I had the same exact problem with that foot and it drove me nuts. I switched back to the regular foot, which has been a bit of a challenge.

    I have had my Juki for a little longer and I have never sewn on a more efficient and consistent machine prior to owning it. It is quite wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am very happy with my juki also. Thanks for the tip on the 1/4 inch foot and the needle threader tutorial! !

    ReplyDelete
  7. I believe the thread cutter can be adjusted by your dealer so that the lengh of thread after cutting is longer. I have a different brand machine and mine has been adjusted.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've had my Juki for almost a year now and I do love it, except for the needle threader - I'll have to watch the video. I was also concerned about how short the threads were when the thread cutter was used, but I've figured out that if I either push the Needle Down button or just make that fist stitch very slowly with the foot pedal, I don't have any problem with the needle coming unthreaded. Also, I had a problem with the walking foot. It was making a loud clanking noise so I called the dealer and he said about 5% of the machines have a problem so he shipped me a modified screw that corrected the problem. I would suggest you check to see if this is your problem, otherwise it could ruin your machine. I love my Juki!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've had my Juki for almost a year now and I do love it, except for the needle threader - I'll have to watch the video. I was also concerned about how short the threads were when the thread cutter was used, but I've figured out that if I either push the Needle Down button or just make that fist stitch very slowly with the foot pedal, I don't have any problem with the needle coming unthreaded. Also, I had a problem with the walking foot. It was making a loud clanking noise so I called the dealer and he said about 5% of the machines have a problem so he shipped me a modified screw that corrected the problem. I would suggest you check to see if this is your problem, otherwise it could ruin your machine. I love my Juki!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't have the Juki but I have the counterpart babylock Jane. She is almost the same but has a couple different features. I love her speed which is the best thing. My question is about thread. I switched to Aurifil a few years ago and love piecing and quilting. When I got this babylock the technician said aurifil is too oily and you will have problems if you keep using it. I have never heard this before and have been disheartened. I will continue to use it on my Bernina but not sure I will use it on my babylock Jane! I wondered if anyone else has heard this?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've had my Juki for about 6 months now and it is definitely a love/hate relationship with it. Right now I'm loving it. I finished a 72" square quilt with it this weekend and went super quick. I had taken mine into the dealership a few weeks ago as having tension issues (mostly user error); he explained that the knob on the top will adjust the thread length when use the automatic cutter. It does make it a bit longer.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Perfect timing. My finger has been on the trigger to buy this machine but haven't found a Juki dealer nearby and I wanted to test drive first. It's so helpful to read comments like these. I hope to be sewing in the fast lane myself, soon. Enjoy your new machine!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've had the earlier version for five and a half years. I'm sorry to say my thread cutter isn't working anymore, but otherwise, it is a great machine. It needs regular oiling and dusting, but otherwise no maintenance. Train yourself to use the knee lifter, especially for quilting because then you can turn the quilt more easily.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm glad you are enjoying this lovely machine and thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hear you on not having the presser foot automatically going up and down with the pedal. It took a while for me to get used to it. I've been trying to use the knee lift more and after a few weeks finally need it. It did take a while to find the right place for my chair so that it didn't get in the way of the knee lift. My walking foot tends to squeak too - I occasionally put a little sewing machine oil on the joints underneath and the sound goes away.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great review - I just love my Juki and also can't get enough of it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Some day (read once we finally get our log home built) I hope to upscale/upsize my very small sewing machine. I keep my eye on reviews people write. Juki certainly has my attention - however, I don't think speed will be one of the selling factors for me...I like to sew slowly ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've heard a lot of good things about this machine. I'm not ready for a new machine yet but will review this again when I am.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for this review, Debbie. One of these days, I'm gonna get to a shop where I can try a Juki like yours. Will be going on with a double batting! And I'll be sure to pay attention to the sound/loudness. My Pfaff Grand Quilter has the same issue with a super-short tail when using the thread cutter. I bought a nice hemostat (a good tweezer will also do) and keep it on top of the machine, The hemostat sticks to a magnet that's attached to the machine with adhesive. Works good!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Pedal to the medal, that's how we do it!
    I just remembered something from Jacquie's walking foot quilting class - walking feet are for walking not running. So it could also be giving you issues due to speed. I have an older Juki but it absolutely hates the walking foot so I don't even bother. Also, I can't sew slow enough to use it haha.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for this review. I've considered the Juki and find it helpful that you've addressed some of the "problems" I've heard about. I've wanted to test drive the machine and there is a dealer in my area but they don't have it for testing. Apparently, they only keep the commercial machines in stock. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  22. Would you send me the link to the 1/4" foot you mentioned? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I know this is an old post, but I just bought a Juki yesterday and I've been reading other blogger experiences with a Juki. Thanks for the video about threading the needle... that's something I couldn't figure out earlier.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I have a juki 2010q and I would like to know if anyone has used a twin needle on it or can this not be done?
    I have a singer that I can use but I would like to try the juki due to I am making a tote and will be going through layers to top stitch metallic thread.
    I figured the juki would be more powerful but have not seen any information on juki and twin needles.
    any feedback would be appreciated

    ReplyDelete
  25. I am also having a problem with the quarter inch foot and would appreciate the site where you found one that works on the Juki. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sherij, I don't see your email, so hope you check back here, but this is the foot I got: https://www.sewingpartsonline.com/high-shank-quarter-inch-foot-xa7258001.aspx

      Delete
  26. What tension do you recommend? Having alittle issue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I pretty much leave it right where it came. Did you glance at the manual to see what it says? Also, do make sure you change your needle often - that definitely helps.

      Delete