Now this was fun - the kind of project that makes me happiest these days. No deadline, no guidelines, no real purpose other than an idea I had that I needed to pursue.
Remember my improv string block from January for our guild's BOM? Yeah, well I couldn't get one little element out of my mind. It needed to be explored further - that small square wrapped in string strips.
So here are a few process photos, as the piece grew and grew....
Actually, the above photo shows the final quilt top. Until I let it be overnight. In the morning, I woke up knowing I needed to tweak the bottom left corner. oh yeah. Much better.
Quilting this 25" mini took a while, but the matchstick quilting was so worth it. I gathered a bundle of coordinating Aurifil threads - #2021 (Natural White), #2140 (Mustard), #2230 (Medium Peony) #2600 (Dove), #2610 (Light Blue Grey), #2975 (Brass), and #4020 (Fuchsia).
I randomly switched between threads as I felt like it, just enjoying the effect. In this case, it really seemed the more the merrier.
So once this one was finished, it was quickly bound and taken out for a little photoshoot in my mom's garden before the rains came. I noticed once I was home editing photos that I'd rotated the quilt in nearly every shot.
Funny though how we always know the 'right' orientation, when to a casual onlooker, it may not be obvious....just another part of the fun of improv.
Linking up with Finish It Up Friday!