It all started with a yard of fabric from The Denim Studio by Art GalleryFabrics. I'd bought it on a whim a while back, and reached for it when I needed a new project, even though I didn't really have a plan at that point. I perused my Pinterest boards a bit, hatched a beginning of a plan, and went back to the stash looking for a solid I could pair with the denim. And that would be Kaufman Kona Cotton Solid in Silver, which just might be my new favorite gray. And that denim? Delightful fabric. It is so soft - just an all-around delight to work with.
Anyway, I started with an 18" x 28" length of the denim, sliced and inserted 1" strips of the silver, and created my first over-sized 'block'.
I loved it so much, I created another, cut them both up, sewed them back together again, and started in on making some improv X blocks.
And this is where my dilemma really began. As I debated yay or nay on the Xs, I knew (dare I say, "in my heart?") that I wanted them and more. And in the end, that's exactly the way I went, adding an improv square offset 'border' with both of the blue denims, and then finally, adding a simple border on the opposite sides. My thought was to decrease the density and mix up the fabric combinations as I traveled from section to section.
For quilting, I used Aurifil 50wt #2600 (light gray) and did a very dense organic grid, dense meaning 1/4" to 1/2" between lines. Eight bobbins for a 48" square dense. oh yeah.
I'd kept the backing simple, since I found a perfect stashed silver gray metallic print from the Steel Collection by Gerri Robinson/Planted Seed Designs, and boy did the quilting and subsequent texture show up well there.
So, for not knowing where I wanted to end up, I'm really happy where I've arrived. It was definitely worth heeding Karen Lewis' words, "Don't be afraid of getting it wrong." I'm glad I wasn't.
Linking up with Finish It Up Friday!