Thursday, April 20, 2017

All the Greens



What little guilt I had for not finishing February's Faith Circle quilt in the suggested timeline melted away today. Hubby and I are on a week-long get-away on Orcas Island, and this afternoon's exploring included a visit to Orcas Island Pottery, the oldest pottery in the Pacific Northwest, and a landmark since its inception in 1945. And yes, the pottery was lovely, showcased throughout the garden and in historic log cabins. The setting was itself, somewhat magical.



But it was the treehouse that led me to ask permission to take some photos, and photoshoot aside, climbing up into the 200 year old cedar tree took me back to my childhood, where encountering such a treehouse (with a bunkbed! and a play kitchen!) would have been a dream come true.



Back to the quilt, yes? It was inspired by the Pantone Color of the Year Greenery, and in fact, became a collection of many wonderful greens. Our bee used Jodi/Tales of Cloth's Squash Blossom block tutorial, which is just so striking. 



For the backing, I actually chose a print from Violet Craft's Christmas at Brambleberry Ridge, but it was a perfect green to tie those on the front together - enough so that I used it for the binding as well.



Quilting was kept simple - a serpentine stitch vertically across the quilt in Aurifil 50wt #2024 (White).


The finished quilt measures 48" x 60". I began to sew the binding on just a few days ago, waiting in the ferry line to Orcas, and took the last stitch in a cabin overlooking Deer Harbor. To be able to take photos of it with such an enticing backdrop as the pottery grounds was a bit of a thrill. Kind of like coming to the end of a well-loved fairy tale.



This project was on my 2017 Q2 Finish-A-Long list!

29 comments:

  1. what a gorgeous quilt in a beautiful setting! enjoy your getaway!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such pretty greens Debbie! And what a delightful setting you found to photograph your quilt! I think I need to make a green quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful quilt and such a perfect setting for taking these wonderful pictures in!! Love all the different shades of green and the pattern you used!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooo Debbie! You sure know how to make green a beautiful color. This is just lovely. Making it a lap-size is perfect for everyday use. Your timing is impeccable for finishing it and getting to photograph it in such a beautiful place. Looks idyllic, and a place I'd like to visit. I know you're having a great trip. Keep enjoying, and keep makin' these beautiful makes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Debbie, this quilt is perfect in that setting. The colors are so outdoorsy and beautiful. I would have stayed in that treehouse all day long.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely quilt! I fell in love with it right away :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so glad you got permission to photograph the quilt the, it is a stunning and perfect backdrop for the green quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have the best photo shoots! I'm not a huge fan of green...but this one is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful, it just makes me feel like there must be Spring and sunshine out my window. What a fun setting for the last step of your quilt's progress besides the 'enjoy' step.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an amazing place for photos! The quilt is just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your post has taken me back to fairyland, where I played for hours with my Liddle Kiddle dolls. The quilt is gorgeous, and so inspiring. Thanks for the journey!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my gosh this is so beautiful. My heart is actually beating a little faster! Thank you for these beautiful pics. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely quilt and gorgeous setting for your photoshoot !

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can only echo the sentiments of others, it is a lovely quilt and the pics are beautiful, as is the setting. I wouldn't have thought of making a green and white quilt but it so fresh and crisp it works beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That scenery is really amazing. Great pictures! And lovely quilt, of course :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. " Kind of like coming to the end of a well-loved fairy tale." Such a lovely thought, so well said.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The quilt is lovely - as usual, but the pictures and the scenery... wow! Hope you had a great time on your little getaway with hubby. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Debbie the quilt turned out so lovely - and I couldn't agree more...the setting is perfect! Hope your time on Orcas Island is relaxing and inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This looks great! And I love all the back drops! I love the greens on white!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Such a beautiful quilt and scenery too. What a wonderful place to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  21. That is one pretty quilt in a pretty setting!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I like the way you photograph your quilts! The scenery is very good for the green quilt
    KATRIN W.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Striking Quilt. I just might copy you. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  24. So sad, that your quilt did not make it into the Pantone challenge. It would have gotten my vote for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Gorgeous quilt and setting. Your quilting and photography are excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Just gorgeous. And absolutely love your fantastic photo shoot!

    ReplyDelete
  27. It turned out oh so beautiful. Fabulous pictures too =)
    Congratulations to the finish.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love everything about this Debbie - the pattern, the colour of course and your excellent location shots! Congratulations on your fab finish on behalf of the global FAL 2017 hosts!

    ReplyDelete