Friday, June 23, 2017

Minimal Day :: Facets

The latest block-of-the-month for Seattle MQG was inspired by three facets of an emerald cut stone and provided several new techniques: stitching points of varying degrees, overlapping appliqué pieces, and butting two points together.  The elements were also free-floating within the block, so we had to use an overlay to help with placing them.


I'd never used an overlay with appliqué before, so that was interesting - and good to know! I used a ziploc bag and a sharpie, and it worked just fine. My 'straight' stitched edges are just a tad wobbly, but that seems to be a peril using voile.


So this was our fifth block design, and I'm loving where it's taking me.

3 comments:

  1. Love watching this evolve. so cool

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Ellyn - watching this evolve is delightful. And what a cool technique to use an overlay. I'll have to tuck that away in the memory banks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a very original design and I love to see your progresses each month !
    I use overlay with appliqué and thought it was a common practice. The kind of thing you do mechanically not knowing it could be a useful tip :-)

    ReplyDelete