Wednesday, December 6, 2017

Maximalist Improv

"Time to laugh and play, no rulers, no neutrals, all the colours, maximalist improv.... Just have fun and make a block or two that make you feel happy." Well it doesn't get much better than that in bee-block land, now does it? But that's exactly what Leanne/shecanquilt set forth last month for Bee Sewcial.



It's probably no surprise that I went right back to playing with improv techniques I've enjoyed these last weeks. I managed to make the bottom block without any ruler, per Leanne's request, but I got going and forgot as I was trimming the spikes in the top block. I swear, I put that ruler away as soon as I caught myself, ha! Though I was pulling from the scrap bin for the spikes, trying to use quite a few colors, I found I ended up with a loosely-defined palette that is unique but inviting. May have to explore that further one of these days...

13 comments:

  1. I do like the spikes! Remembering not to use a ruler would be hard for me, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This kind of sewing is my favorite! Putting together scrappy pieces at random and just stitching is so satisfying!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are just a few places i need to have a ruler. Love your improv!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bee Sewcial sounds like a fun challenge. And Leanne/shecanquilt has some beautiful work, knitting and quilting.
    Your blocks are a great start Debbie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous inspiration...love the dazzling color, line and shapes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the colorful spikes, they just look happy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We've got a "Do it yourself" round robin at our guild - watching all your amazing improv pieces has me inspired to do my RR in this manner - in solids. SO out of my box, but I think it will be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, it makes me happy just to look at those.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very inspiring blocks Debbie ! I particularly love the blue and orange grid !

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your work always inspires me. I need to get serious about improv!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Me gusta mucho tu trabajo de improvisación, yo también lo disfruto mucho, me relaja, me distrae y me ayuda a reciclar restos de tela, un saludo desde España

    ReplyDelete
  12. Me gusta mucho tu trabajo de improvisación, yo también lo disfruto mucho, me relaja, me distrae y me ayuda a reciclar restos de tela, un saludo desde España

    ReplyDelete