Saturday, January 20, 2018

Offshoot

It was actually last October that my mom and I started talking about a quilted runner for her dining room table. We scrolled through Pinterest until we settled on an inspiration design. From there we set on choosing fabric, and fun fact: Mom was as enamored with Carolyn Friedlander prints as I am. Mixed with a Maker Maker cotton/linen blend and Kona Garnet, we came up with a unique but delightful mix that was really enjoyable to work with.



I started with making small striped segments....



.... and then designed as I went by piecing randomly and filling in spots on the design wall. I had a size goal - 32" x 92" - and the pieced top ended up just slightly larger to allow for shrinkage due to quilting and washing.



When it came time for quilting I started with variegated Aurifil 50wt #4060 (Silver Moon), fully intending to use a variety of colored threads. But considering my goal was to use several different quilting designs, per mom's request, after I got going I decided using the singular thread would be best. And it really did coordinate well with all the fabrics, nestling in nearly invisibly in some areas and standing out more in others.



First up was my one of my standbys - organic straight-line - off-center across the width of the runner. Next were a pair of harmonizing yet different sections of matchstick quilting.



From there, I went section to section, figuring out designs as I went.... some simple channel quilting, and echos, then a diagonal grid and orange peels (love them!).





That's when I turned to Jacquie Gering's Walk to find some new designs to try, and I found that a Radiating Diamond, some Crosshatch Mashup, and even some Sectioned Curves all suited the piece well.







So nine designs in all, and I gotta say, I love the look.



I trimmed it up, bound it all in one of my favorites of Carolyn Friedlander's Euclid linen-cotton blends, and it was done.... the largest table runner I'd ever made.



The size was of the essence though, covering a good width of the table, while hanging over on the ends to give the look mom was after. Let's just say we're pretty well pleased with our joint effort. The runner looks totally at home on mom's table, which was the goal after all!



This project is on my 2018 Q1 Finish-A-Long list!
Linking up with 2018 Finish-A-Long Q1 Finishes!

22 comments:

  1. lucky Mom! this is so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful colors and design. I just unearthed Jaquie’s book from a box I stashed it in during the holidays. Love her inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll bet this was such fun working with your mom on this project to make something just for her! Every stitch made with love. It really is stunning and the width is very eye-catching!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the partnership aspect and that you both have similar tastes. The runner looks stunning on her table, and I think the 9 different quilting motifs are really beautiful together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it on your mom’s table! And the quilting is really cool!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks very lovely and fits perfectly on the table. What a great project and present!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's what you were making! I watched on IG and wondered! It is beautiful! The quilting really sets it apart! Well done to you and your mom!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely fabulous!!! I love everything about this runner - the fabric, pattern, quilting, everything! It's a beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it Debbie! How fun to be able to combine so many beautiful fabrics and quilting designs all in one project! You've inspired me to give orange peel quilting a try...now I just have to make something to try it on :o)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Debbie, this came out beautifully! I love the colors and the quilting! Topping all this glory off is the Q1 finish...bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stunning! Love all the fabrics, your freeform piecing and the variety of quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is beautiful - love the fabrics, the quilting, everything!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's a great collaboration ! I really like your fabric choices.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, I like this - the patchwork and the varied quilting work so nicely together. It calls to mind the Gee Bend quilts that are so fascinating, only it's nice and flat and even for the table.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the quilting on it. This is a great finish!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The different quilting patterns are outstanding, really going together in the end. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very much love this, Debbie. Oh behalf of the 2018 Finish A Long global hosts, thanks for participating!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great pattern, quilting and fabrics. Carolyn Friedlander fabrics are a favorite of mine as well.

    ReplyDelete