Wednesday, February 14, 2018

The Nitty Gritty

So the projects I made from waxed canvas for my guest post at Diary of a Quilter needed a post of their own. I gotta tell you, I really enjoyed this little foray into experimenting with a new substrate

One of my fortunate discoveries was how well the canvas substitutes for leather. I'd made the Leather Bottom Pouch pattern from Beyond Cotton by Krista Fleckenstein twice before in a class with her, and though I totally love them, I haven't gotten brave enough to go shopping for leather to make more. So the fact that the canvas worked nicely for the pouch's bottom section was good to know!



The same was true for the Basket pattern, also from Beyond Cotton. Seriously, this little basket took about 10 minutes to make - just cutting out the template and popping on a couple of rivets. I've been using it nearly daily for my wonder clips, and it's holding up really well. I love that it's soft but sturdy. May just need to try the larger version one of these days.



The Canvas and Leather Lunch Bag, a tutorial by Pretty Prudent, actually was intended for waxed canvas, and went together really well. I found it to be smaller than an average lunch sack, but that doesn't mean it's not as cute as can be, and I really love the addition of the leather lacing for a closure. I can see this as a fun gift-wrapping option.



After all that, and the success of the Boxy Pouch made from Cara/Pink Stitches' tutorial, I couldn't resist making a couple more - one each for my son and son-in-law. The guys in my family don't get as many hand-mades as the gals, so it was nice to have a project to make especially for them.



So I think that's enough of that little diversion for now, but I have no doubt I'll be on the watch for more projects to make with waxed canvas. And as a reminder, click here to read my tips for working with it - just good to know before you start in.

4 comments:

  1. I really love them all. have not tried waxed canvas yet

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to ask you where to get waxed canvas, then I read your guest post at Diary of a Quilter.....and I found my answer plus some useful hints! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the tips ! I've never used waxed canvas so far and bookmarked the link.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh these are lovely. It is always hard to find something to make for guys.

    ReplyDelete