Monday, March 19, 2018

Sidewalk Chalk on Asphalt


When I flipped the calendar to 2018, I had no idea I'd be working on a bed quilt by the end of the month, and actually be sleeping under it by the start of spring. glory be! Yes, a new quilt for our bed had been on the list for at least a couple of years, but it took Rachel/Stitched in Color hosting The Big Bed Quilt-Along to actually get me going on it.



I'd been collecting low-volume fabrics for months on end, having no idea what I'd actually do with them. I had in mind maybe an improv pineapple quilt, but when I saw Meghan/Then Came June's Sidewalk Chalk pattern start popping up in Instagram, I changed my mind. It was a pattern, yes, but with an improvisational feel, and it seemed oh so doable - you know, like it might actually get done in a reasonable amount of time. And truth was, I loved loved! every version I saw. So that was settled, and I started in.




Rachel had been posting a variety of helpful posts along the way, and near the end of sewing my rows together, her Planning Quilt Size post turned on a light bulb. so I got my measuring tape out pronto and realized I would need to add an extra row and column both to make my own quilt sized appropriately for my bed. It's a good reminder to take a look at those dimensions listed on any pattern you use - they're all relative. Luckily, with Sidewalk Chalk, it was really easy, and after a good review of the pattern, even keeping that improv feel was a cinch and adding on didn't hold me up too much.



By mid-February, I had a finished quilt top! Measuring 96" x 112", it was BIG! Ie. too big for me to want to quilt myself. My decision was quick, easy, and logical (to me) - purchase a few yards of the crisscross in black wideback by Carolyn Friedlander, which was one of the low-volume fabrics in my original pull, pack it all up, and send straightaway to Rachel/Stitched in Color herself for long-arm quilting. We conferred briefly about thread color (off-white) and quilting design and density, and before long, my quilt was on the frame.



I wanted to comment since I mentioned it in a previous post - Stitched in Color uses Quilter's Dream Select batting, which I was unfamiliar with. I've always been a Warm & Natural/White gal myself, so I didn't know what to expect. But I'm more than happy with the feel and drape of the finished quilt and honestly can't really tell a difference. (yay!) 



So for binding, all 416" of it, I used more of the Backgrounds Crossstitch in Gray by Lori Holt. And with that, I have a brand new bed quilt and am ecstatic to cross that one off my list.

18 comments:

  1. So pretty! I have always been drawn to low volume combos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Simply (as in its simplicity) gorgeous! Love low-volume fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The drape looks perfect on your bed! Congratulations on the finish and I hope you enjoy many, many nights of rest and worry free sleep underneath it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's really a lovely quilt. Is your bed queen sized?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh, I love the color palette - it is so restful and one that I wouldn't tire of having on the bed for a very long while. It is gorgeous in its simplicity. Just a wonderful finish. Thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. it came out so beautiful! Love the photo on the stairs. perfect

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely calm quilt to sleep under! I love that you didn't go overly dense on the quilting - it drapes beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's awesome Debbie ! I just can't imagine making such a huge quilt ... Using low volumes for this pattern was a perfect choice. Love the picture on the stairs !

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is beautiful Debbie!! Love the quilt and quilting done on it - what a treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations on your finish!
    And nice work on the binding. Great choice for the
    quilting, I agree, the drape is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Smart move to ship your quilt off to Stitched in Color. Brandon did a great job on it! It looks SEW pretty on your bed.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful quilt! It looks just gorgeous on your bed.

    ReplyDelete
  13. awesome! love the elegance of the low volume prints ..

    ReplyDelete
  14. A beautiful execution of a very unique quilt pattern. Thanks for the peek and the link to the Planning Quilt Size post. Most helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love how quickly this went together for you! The quilt looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really love your quilt - the pattern and low volume color design. And that photo shot on the bed.... BTW I blame you for starting my own king size bedspread project - I needed an idea for my bee groups and I am sure you somehow influenced me into this crazy adventure. Just hoping it will end as amazing and well as yours! xo

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful Masterpiece of a quilt! and the quilting is absolutely perfect for the quilt. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete