Thursday, May 17, 2018

Jazzy


Not sure why it took me so long to face this one. It's not huge, and honestly, I loved it from the very first block. It was quick and easy to sew my bee-mates' blocks into a top. So obviously.... no good reason.



It's a do.Good Stitches quilt, with multicolor wedge slabs made by Faith Circle. They are patient with my efforts to sneak some improv into our quilt-making, and they came through beautifully. [Here's the block tutorial.]



I really debated over a quilting plan, and after skimming through Jacquie Gering's Walk, 
settled on a combination of horizontal straight lines and fancy curved lines - gentle curves both between random lines and occasionally crossing lines of straight-line. I think it worked.



On a whim, I quilted with Aurifil 50wt 2520 (Violet) AND shock of shocks, I finished by stitching the scrappy binding by machine. I have only done that a handful of times in my years of quilting, but it just seemed the thing to do this time. [I basically used this method.]




So this quilt, which I'm dubbing "Jazzy" because of its showy color, finished at 48" x 60", and it'll be heading off shortly to Valley Breast Center here in the Seattle area. As always, it feels great to do a little good.



This project was on my 2018 Q2 Finish-A-Long list! Linking up with Finish It Up Friday.

10 comments:

  1. It appears to be the perfect block when having a group of people making them! They all fit so well together...it looks like one person made the entire quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a beauty! someone will find great comfort in that quilt. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great color contrast and quilting.
    Scrappy heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It’s really nice. Simple is often best. Freckledfoxquiltery@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a bright and fun finish. I don’t know why some quilts just take a bit of time t9mwarm up and work up the desire to finish. I think the Scrappy binding is the perfect choice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on the finish! Lovely quilt and you picked a fun quilting design.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's such a happy and bright quilt ! No doubt it will comfort someone.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful, bright and happy quilt! I like the quilting too and the binding is the perfect finishing touch! And such an amazing cause!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on your fal finish! The design is fresh and I'm sure will give many hours of happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's one of my favourite ways to quilt, especially improv quilts. Love this one, Debbie! Thanks for linking up to the FAL, on behalf of the global hosts.

    ReplyDelete