Monday, May 21, 2018

Code

When M-R/@quiltmatters announced this month's Bee Sewcial prompt, I was intrigued. The prompt was 'Code', and having been a programmer in my early days, I was excited about the thought of somehow adapting the code I used back in the day to fabric. But the APT programming language didn't come through for me after all, so after some hemming and hawing, I settled on using binary.


The colors M-R requested were black/dark gray for the background, and red and white for the message. That certainly made things simpler, but it was still a little tedious piecing the ones and zeros improvisationally into 'letters' that just happen to spell.....
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
bee sewcial!

OK, once I had a concept, this was a fun one. At 19" x 20, the block ended up a tad larger than necessary, but that's just what it wanted to be, I guess. Whew! Survived to sew another day.

7 comments:

  1. I think it is fantastic and I love that each letter is set improvisationally.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great work, Debbie, you're tenacious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what a clever idea! This block turned out so well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Clever coding!! I really like the bold red with the bits of white!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this idea Debbie ! I was a programmer too but never had to use binary :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the block and the theme. What a fun quilt it will be :) You always have such great and challenging ideas in your group!

    ReplyDelete