Monday, January 18, 2021

Liberated Rings

So the finish I'm sharing today is the second project in my 50 Days of Scraps; the first being The Tumbler Dilemma, which used both scrap blocks as well as actual scraps from the scrap basket. In case you missed it, this current project was inspired by the Liberated Wedding Ring block pattern I discovered in Freddy Moran and Gwen Marston's Freddy & Gwen Collaborate Again: Freewheeling Twists on Traditional Quilt Designs. In fact the blocks themselves are just as described, though I did not sew on paper as suggested. 

I really did enjoy making the blocks, as well as my pull of scraps. I guess I just wasn't in the mood to continue on to make a big quilt. So I stopped at 36 - 7 1/2" (unfinished) blocks, which I arranged into 9 'rings' that measured 14" (finished) each, making a quilt top that would measure 42". I quickly pieced a back from two lengths of stash Denyse Schmidt fabrics and started in quilting. [I know the larger blue/green backing fabric is from the Hadley line; not sure about the yellow.]

I went with an uneven grid using a variegated green Aurifil 50wt #4653 [spring prairie], really easy and stress-free quilting on a quilt this size. But I have to let you in on a little secret! When I made my backing and basted the quilt sandwich, I left a few extra inches all around the quilt top. SO THAT I could make an extra wide binding (2 1/4"!), thus bringing my quilt up to 46 1/2" square.

I actually had totally planned  - like already started cutting and piecing - a fully scrappy binding, but then I thought that might actually be kind of cumbersome on those corners, so I gave up on that idea. I swear I rummaged through every shelf of my stash looking for a suitable binding choice before happening upon a yard of  Melody Miller Ruby Star Polka Dot Arrows for Kokka. I really thought the background was a dusty olive, which went well enough with the greens I used in many of my block backgrounds. But as I researched the fabric online while writing this post, the only color I could find was 'natural.' Hmmm. So not sure. I knew it wasn't an exact match, but I think it grounds the very scrappy blocks in the quilt, and the arrows give a bit of a stripe effect to the binding.


So, I ran into one little issue. Not actually sewing the binding, as it went on very nicely and boy did those corners want to miter themselves with no problem. And I did stitch down those miters on both front and back due to their size. 

But with a binding that wide, I was a little concerned the batting might bunch up a bit when washed. So I took a gold perle cotton and stitched a trio of Xs in several places on each side of the quilt - never more than 12" apart, but often less, a total of three times on each side. So that added some fun little hand-stitched detailing that I hope will help keep everything secure. 


Once again, I feel that twinge of guilt that I didn't keep on going and make a big ole quilt using the liberated wedding ring blocks, as you know darn well I have plenty of scraps to do so. But then again, it is what it is, and I'm ready to move on, continuing on with my 50 days of scraps.

12 comments:

  1. Great choice to go with an extra wide binding for the finish, both to frame the center and make the quilt a bit larger. I was really drawn to how the print continues the angled line effect of the piecing outwards as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE THIS DEBBIE!!! THAT FAT BINDING is to die for!

    ReplyDelete
  3. the binding fabric is perfect and I love the wide binding. all of those extra small touches, like the hand stitched Xs make your quilt so perfect

    ReplyDelete
  4. that bottom left corner binding :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE IT! Ordered the book and waiting for it to come.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You always put the 'cherry on top' of your quilts! From the X's to the wide binding. I love the variation of background fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like it, and I expect you've started a new trend in wider bindings. If anyone wants to know more about paperless string piecing, Gwen Marston's "Liberated String Quilts" has lots of ideas. Dot

    ReplyDelete
  8. Inspired binding choice! I love when problem solving turns into a cool detail-those x's! Great quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your scrap "rings". And the idea with the small hand stitches is great. And another thing to make it really individual and handmade :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Exciting finish! Gwen and Freddie's book is packed full of inspiration isn't it?!
    Your scrappy colors and hand stitching are the best.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A wonderful version of the 'liberated rings' quilt. I do like how you have used assorted blues for your backgrounds and the added detail of those little 'x's is very effective!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this! Your binding corners are perfect - and I love those little Xs. Super cute little touch.

    ReplyDelete