Tuesday, January 5, 2021

The Tumbler Dilemma

By the time I'd decided to make my colorful tumbler blocks into a 'back,' I was pretty psyched to figure out what the 'front' would be. 

I'd already thrown the last three tumbler blocks in the trash, but went and retrieved one and decided to see what an improv courthouse steps would be like with the little block as a non-traditional center. Let's just say I was immediately in my groove, grabbing scraps from the pile on the floor to add in as I sewed along. THIS was fun.


I settled on a chunky angled grid for the quilting using Aurifil 50wt #2314 (Beige), a color that would work well enough for both sides of the quilt. (I still felt some loyalty to the side with all the tumblers, since so many folks on Instagram liked them - ha!) I actually quilted from the front, checking now and then that things were looking just as good on the back, and thankfully, they were.



So all ended well enough. The Tumbler Dilemma finished at about 18" square-ish and I'm happy with my decision to use the tumbler blocks, even though figuring out how took some twists and turns. 


So I'm already well into my next scrap project, still pretty motivated in my attempt at 50 Days of Scraps.

Check out #quiltingthecountdown and #aqt50daysofscraps to see more.

9 comments:

  1. This is a two sided quilt, as opposed to a front with a back. Know what I mean? Each are beautiful - well done!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great use of the tumblers! I have internet back and missed the dilemma part, but I love how this is a double sided mini.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad you found a way to work with the blocks - even if it is "only" for a back :) And the front ist very cool! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I think you convinced all of us that small two-sided quilts can be as fun and happy-looking as one-sided quilts. You did a knock-out job with with one. I hope you find a place to hang it, and turn it around every now and then.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not being a fan of the tumbler block, this is a way I could and would definitely use them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous! Both sides are super, you're flying now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh boy! LOVE this one. So clever.

    ReplyDelete
  8. still loving this, both sides!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I would be hard-pressed to choose the side I like more! This turned into a lovely two-sided mini. Super cute!

    ReplyDelete