Saturday, July 23, 2011

Friday Night Sew-In Etc.

When I looked back at last month's Friday Night Sew-In post, I was somewhat surprised to see that I'd been working on the backing for my Dream Big quilt. I wasn't too pleased with it then, but must say I am perfectly pleased with it now that it is quilted and back home. I'll post a pic when the quilt is completed later this week. Meanwhile, last night I machine-stitched the binding on and am ready to finish up the hand stitching. Love this step!

Last night I was also able to finish piecing my Kaleidoscope quilt along top. Yay! I'm really pleased with it. Now to think about the backing - and you know how much I love THAT! 
I do know that it'll mostly be gray with white dots, but I need to decide how/if I incorporate my extra Kaleidoscope blocks. We'll see.

Block #6 of the Summer Sampler Series quilt along got put together. This block involved regular piecing and paper piecing, so that was interesting. Don't think I've ever combined the two in the same block. I'm not totally happy with how the center came out, so I may be revisiting that little detail.
With six blocks complete, we're half done with the quilt along!

Finally, this morning I was able to cut and mail charm squares for Rainbow Charm Swap 2, hosted by Jennifer of Ellison Lane Quilts. I can hardly wait to get my swap charms back - the swap members really picked out some fantastic fabrics! This is going to be fun!
I was assigned the color blue and chose these lovelies . . .
(L-Valori Wells Wrenly Wildfield Cobalt,
R-Erin McMorris Summersault Cartwheel Lake)

By the way, during the Sew-In, I enjoyed catching up with The History Quilter's podcasts. Feel free to check her out at historyquilter.podbean.com. The quilting podcast scene is new to me, but I'm finding it's some nice company in the sewing room!

Well, that's it for today! Thankful for what I accomplished and hope you have a great day!

8 comments:

  1. What great projects! your block six is awesome, I love the colours you chose!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love how the Kaleidoscope quilt top turned out. I may need to borrow that pattern. Block #6 of your sampler is awesome. Great job Deb.

    ReplyDelete
  3. well done you were very busy and they all look great

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for Dream Big being almost finished! Love your Kaleidoscope quilt too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What lovely quilts - hope you'll come over to artseebloggers.com and join - it's free!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful kaleidoscope! I love those colors, very appropriate for a cool summer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love hand-stitching binding on quilts too. Thanks for the HQ Podcast shoutout...glad to be keeping you company in your sewing room. :) Paper piecing....help!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful quilts...I also worked on handsewing my binding on today. Did you finish?

    ReplyDelete