Thursday, February 23, 2012

A Sparkle or Six

I hopped on board with the Sparkle QAL back in early January, got my blocks cut out with the rest of the group, and then promptly lagged behind. I confess it sat like this on my sewing table for a full month.
Fabrics cut for Sparkle QAL
And then last week I was reminded that the link up of finished quilts was going to be today! Yikes. Considering I had planned on a mini Sparkle with just six blocks, I got to work piecing up the blocks - which I really enjoyed - and then an afternoon sewing with daughter dear provided just the right incentive to get the blocks sashed, a back pieced, and binding picked out. Oh, and I decided to try contrasting sashing, using the Northcott Colorworks in Pearl that I had picked up at Over the Rainbow. For me, it added just the right something extra to set the blocks off.
For quilting, I decided to use my hera maker to make a sweeping curve across the quilt, and then echo that throughout. My curve's sharpness on one side made it a little hard to replicate over and over, but in the end, I'm ok with it.
Predictably, the weather was down right stormy yesterday afternoon when I wanted to get pictures. Though the wind did provide a quick peek of the back - simply pieced with some Kona Artichoke and a wonderful piece of Kate Spain's Verna I found in my stash. I was pleased to discover it, considering how nicely it pairs with Terrain.
Anyway, I was patient. And eventually the lively Sparkle was still.
Linking up on the Sparkle QAL Finish posts at In Color Order and Canoe Ridge Creations, at Thank Goodness It's Finally Finished over at Quilter in the Gap, and also on Happy Quilting's T.N.T. Thursdays with my try at contrasting sashing and curvy quilting . . .and also with Finish It Up Friday{sew} Modern Monday, and Fabric Tuesday!

41 comments:

  1. Wow, well done for cranking that baby out so quickly, it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The quilt looks lovely! Great job! I'm starting to regret not participating in this QAL. Everyone's quilt is so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! you work fast! It looks beautiful Debbie! The backing compliments it so well, great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The quilting is great! Good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adorable! Love the curvy quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is really lovely, the quilting is great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the quilting!!! It is so awesome!!!! And that sashing really sets the blocks off. What a great idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks great! Love the two toned sashing idea!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely finish! The curvy quilting really adds nice texture to the quilt. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i think the quilting adds just the right amount of oomph! great job getting to it at the last minute, love that spark(le)!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks awesome Debbie! Love the quilting. Were you happy with how well the hera marker worked? I'm so anxious to try mine but haven't had the opportunity to yet!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! Firt, the quilt is beautiful, love the curved quilting. 2nd, you sure work fast! I don't know how you do it! I am just so slow, I'l just keep plugging along though, eventually will get something done. I still have yet to try my Hera that I purchased from reading from your blog...must get busy. Thanks for the inspiration!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful job! I love your quilting.
    But yikes, is it really the link up day already?!
    I quilted my Sparkle quilt last weekend but still need to get the binding on!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the colours! The finish looks really great. =D

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my goodness, you did get that done quickly and I love it! You`ve done such a great job. I have to get a hera marker - I so want to do some circular stitching - or try at any rate!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great sparkle! I love the different sashing, it really does make it pop more! The quilting is fab too :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is beautiful Debbie - love the curvy quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Now that's what I call rapid-fire quilt production - nice! It looks lovely, and the curved quilting is really cool.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow. You are quick! I love Terrain; hence I LOVE THIS QUILT!

    Great job :) and I love the quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh wow. This is just fabulous. I love Terrain and it looks fantastic here. your choice of a (slightly) different coloured sashing is brilliant and I am totally pinning the final shot on my quilting stitches inspiration board - FANTASTIC!

    ReplyDelete
  21. that hera marker and you are really getting along great! i love the quilting and those sparkles are really great also. how do you get so much done??? i am so slow!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great job, Debbie! With that background, your fabrics sparkle beautifully. I also love the movement your quilting gives it. Congrats on a fabulous Friday finish! Thanks for linking up to TGIFF!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This turned out fabulous! I haven't touched mine in many weeks, except to move the pieces around my sewing table. Maybe this weekend I will get to it.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great finish, Debbie! The quilting is perfect for these blocks! I'm so glad we got a peek at the back. You're right - the artichoke and verna goes well with terrain.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Beautiful! The quilting really makes it, too. Great job! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love your Sparkle quilt. The quilting is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Debbie, It looks awesome!! I love the fabric you chose and the quilting is really cool. Great Job!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I really like your fabric choices...it's modern and fun!

    hugZ,
    annie
    anniesrubyslipperz.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. Beautiful!!! That pattern is so great for those wonderful fabrics! x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  30. This is beautiful! Great job, love the fabrics!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Ahhh! I love it :-D I just started a new quilt with these Terrain fabrics today. I'm so in love. I'm glad I bought yardage of my favorite print. I know it's awesome when my husband loves it, too! Thanks for sharing your beautiful sparkle quilt :-)

    ReplyDelete
  32. This looks great Debbie! Great use of Terrain! :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Wonderful finish :)

    Love for you to share it at my Wednesday's "Made by ME" Linky Party here: http://www.jaqsstudio.com/2012/02/made-by-me-20-linky-party.html

    ReplyDelete
  34. Wonderful finish :)

    Love for you to share it at my Wednesday's "Made by ME" Linky Party here: http://www.jaqsstudio.com/2012/02/made-by-me-20-linky-party.html

    ReplyDelete