Sunday, June 24, 2012

Testing . . . 1, 2, 3 . . . Testing

Last year during the For the Love of Solids Swap, Michelle of City House Studio made the most darling book bag for her partner. So when she asked for volunteers to pattern test the book bag for her a few weeks ago, I was more than willing.

The "Read" Book Bag calls for a little paper-piecing, but mostly basic sewing. For the 'books', I chose some favorite fabrics, along with a few that signified special meaning for my family - a 'sewing' book (scissors), a foreign language book, and a 'cookbook'. The background was done in KONA Ash, and the 'bookshelf' fabric is Quilter's Linen in Stone.
Paper piecing was just required for the "read" letters - 4 small blocks, so it went pretty quick, and was fun to do scrappy. I used many of the fabrics I'd used on the book side, plus added what I needed of other coordinating fabrics so no two were repeated.
Since my books and letters weren't as bold as they could have been, I decided to go a little brighter for the lining and inner pocket.
The book bag was really an enjoyable project, and I'm glad I was able to help Michelle out by testing her pattern and giving some feedback.
What a fun and useful little project! Thanks Michelle!

20 comments:

  1. What a beautiful book bag this turned out to be!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your book bag looks great! The bright lining is the perfect finishing touch! (Must get my post written.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots of fun, love the fabrics you chose :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This turned out so cute! It looks great in your more subdued color palette. I must remember to make one of these for Luke's teacher next year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it! Very cool being a tester. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a great bag, and I also love your fabric choices.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a brilliant bag! This would be a great pattern for a child's library bag too I think...

    ReplyDelete
  8. The colors you used with the light and dark gray balanced throughout the bag is great and that lining choice is perfect. Fun to test out a pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This came out fabulous! I'm going to be working on mine today! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. fabulous bag, Debbie. Love how it has books on one side and letters on the other side. Just wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So great Debbie. I think I need a library bag that looks like yours!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is such a great bag - love the colours you used!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The bag looks great! Love the fabrics you used for it =D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely!!! The bag is a really nice shape and your fabric choices were simply lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's just beautiful, Debbie!
    I'm so glad you had fun with it - and thanks so much for your help!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Adorable! I *love* how you use fabrics to tell what the books were!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love it! I am tempted to give up my kindle and go back to carrying books now! :-) I am your newest follower. Check out my quilting adventures at www.piecedbrain.com and follow me, too! Have a productive week...

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love, love, love the "book" especially the cook book, such a clever idea! Very cute, and Michelle created such a cute pattern!

    ReplyDelete