Saturday, June 2, 2012

Zakka Along Week 9 :: Stem Messenger Bag

Oh Zakka! I made a bag.

The Stem Messenger Bag is by Larissa Holland from mmmcrafts. I tell ya, I read several other blog posts about this project before I dared begin, starting of course with Sew Sweetness, who reminded us about the correct way to measure a gusset. Didn't want to make that mistake again! From The Patchsmith, I garnered the tip to leave at least 6" to turn the final bag. I was super cautious and left 8" and really had no trouble. Where bluepatch quilter missed the step about top-stitching the top of the pockets, I managed to miss the step about sewing the pocket onto the lining all together. Uh oh and oh well.

Anyway, back to the basics. The body and strap of my bag is made of Essex Linen in Putty - lovely to work with. The lining is one of my favs, a brown Wordplay by Michele D'Amore (love her name!). And the leaves on the flap are bits of shot cotton - also a pleasure to incorporate in any project.
Though I am really pleased overall with the bag (except for no interior pocket, duh), I was especially tickled to make such a cool handle with hardware. yay.
And I do have a couple of tips of my own for you! One involves the bias tape used for the stem, and particularly, the back detail.
The pattern's directions said to apply the tape per package instructions. Well mine had none. So I reached way back in my memory and came up with this ~ I opened the tape and sewed on the first fold, with the edge lined up with the top (raw) edge of my flap.
I used a little fabric glue (which I didn't know existed before this project) and turned the ends of the tape in, and then folded over the tape to cover the raw edge. . .
to make a neat little edge like this, that was then a breeze to top-stitch onto the bag body as shown in the book.
Tip #2 concerns the handle, and folding in the long edges 1/2" to press. That was a little finicky for me to keep even, so I pressed the whole thing in half, then drew a line 1" along the entire long edge. Then I folded and pressed my raw edge to meet the line, and repeated for the other side. Worked like a charm for me.
A last detail shot before I wrap this post up, showing a peek of the lining and the bag pocket detail. 
And we'll call this one done!

Linking up with LRstitched and pretty darn proud. Also linking up with Made By ME and amylouwho's sew & tell.

19 comments:

  1. ..........and you should be proud! Another beautiful project. I thought I would mention that after seeing your last Zakka quilt, I dug out my book and I have some "echo" prints I thought might look nice : )
    Thanks for always inspiring us

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd be proud of that too, Deb. Beautifully finished. The light putty color looks great with the bright cottons!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool bag, Debbie! Your stitching on the handle looks so neat! I can never get my x's to look that good. Very fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks lovely. The style is very Zakka - nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's really great! LOVE those colourful leaves. Your work looks perfectly done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks awesome! Loving the leaves =D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just in time for summer! What a great bag :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Debbie, this looks fantastic! I hate to say it, but this may be the first Zakka project that I have to opt out of...just ran out of time this week. By the way, I checked out that Flickeflu site that you mentioned. I saw some of my photos on there too...not really sure how they got there...

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks so lovely Debbie! Love the colourful leaves on the linen.

    ReplyDelete
  10. your zakka bag is gorgeous. you picked the perfect fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome bag! The addition of hardware always makes a bag look so professional!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's fabulous!
    Love the shot cotton leaves, and your advice on the bias tape!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You'd better take photos of the sewing process with you when you carry this purse. No one will believe you made it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well done on such a bright and funky bag!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This turned out great! I think this is my favorite project in the whole book and as soon as I finish my zakka quilt (!) I'll be on to this one. Thanks for the tips :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is really, really CUTE! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ahem, may I just say 'told you so' :oP It looks great though, love the colours of the leaves

    ReplyDelete