Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Tuesday at the Table

Tuesday's Table posts seems to be pretty topical in general, but we're going random today - reporting on one very fun afternoon, and numerous recipes - it's just been one of those weeks where I've been in the mood to try new things.

To start, I tried Amy/Sukie's Curry in a Hurry, which was so delicious, but I thank my lucky stars I only had 3 Tb. Thai Kitchen Green Curry Paste in my fridge. Amy uses 4(!), but 3 was plenty hot for us. As advertised, this was a great meal to fix on a work night - quick and easy, yet mighty tasty.

And then, needing a change-up for breakfast, I baked Katie/There and Back's recipe for granola. I think it's general knowledge that if a working pastry chef posts a recipe, you'd best try it. And I have been celebrating breakfast ever since. I am particularly enjoying it either with a bit o'milk and fresh berries, or topped on yogurt. yum.

We celebrated staff birthdays last week, and the request I covered was that of cake balls. These are send-you-over-the-moon delightful, and deemed the absolute favorite of several in our circle of family and friends. And for good reason.

Then, wouldn't you know it, there was a potluck to go to, and that called for my #1 potluck dish - a dessert of course - Chocolate Toffee Crunch Poke Cake, or commonly known in these parts as "poke cake". It's also dubbed our "stand at the fridge and eat" favorite, for no better reason than we do!

There was also the very delicious carrot soup with tahini and crisped chickpeas from Smitten Kitchen, which was a real treat, and on top of that, very fun to make. I thought the lemon-tahini "dallop" and chickpeas made a really good soup even better. This dish will definitely be making another appearance at our table. (And I also now have za'atar in my spice rack, which was used on the accompanying pita wedges.) I served it with the iceberg stack with blue cheese and radishes from Smitten Kitchen's cookbook, and it was a perfect go-with.
photo by Sharon Brendle, who thought the salad dressing tasted like Ranch

Now that I've bombarded you with all of the above, how about a quick peek back at my Sunday afternoon? I went over to daughter dear's to help her make mini pies to take to work. She was celebrating National Pie Day(!) just a tad early. It was really quick and easy with this handy mold . . .
 which resulted in these awesome mini pies. {See her pie post here.}
From what I hear, they were very well-received, which of course, was as it should be.

So, yeah, there was plenty of time in this kitchen this week. Hoping you have some yummyness to share, or a table project even? Go ahead and link up here.

17 comments:

  1. I want to try Amy's curry and love it hot and that soup sounds very good indeed as does that Poke cake. Mmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where did you get your little heart mini pie cutter/press? - so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks like a super yummy week there! I think there's only a couple more weeks til the Smitten Kitchen book is out here

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those little pies are wonderful, as is the rest. I am going to be thinking about cake balls all day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In answer to Kelli's question, the pie press was from William-Sonoma, purchased a few years back.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My first comment got eaten. I guess that's fitting when we are talking food! Everything looks delicious. You've been busy in the kitchen! I need more pie in my life. Soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just made your poke cake last night! I saved the recipe from about 6 months ago when I first saw it here, it is so yummy! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I made Sukie's recipe too. But since we are eating Paleo now, I missed rice with it. Those mini pies look so good right now, especially since we are being so strict with our eating.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so glad you liked the granola! I really like the almost candy-like coating it gets. That's what makes it so crunchy! When I saw your heart pies on IG the other day I decided I had to make some, so after school today Macy and I are getting out our little pie mold to make caramel apple pies. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Holy smoke there's a lot of good stuff in this post. I have to go back and re-read it. The soup sounds delicious, and that pie press is really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  11. have i ever ever ever told you that pie is my favorite? i got a huge craving for pumpkin pie the other day and since my gramma has my pie shells i had to make my moms pumpkin cake last night. i'm still craving pumpkin pie though! i need to share the recipe for the pumpkin cake with you though. it is heaven, seriously another stand at the fridge and eat cake! the bonus is it is super super low fat and weight watcher friendly! want it?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for trying my curry recipe!! I'm glad it held up in taste etc.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can see you're not going to be helpful in keeping New Year's resolutions!!! Everything looks soooo yummy! I will definitely be trying some of those things out.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I WILL be making the poke cake! I have a recipe that I would guess is similar...we call it Snickers cake. I'll have to check the recipe and see. I havent' made that in years. So good!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I want a little heart pie! Those look so darn good. You've been cooking up a storm Debbie! P.S. I've never had curry in my life.

    ReplyDelete