Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Tuesday at the {summer} Table

Wow. June has just flown by, Tuesday at the {summer} Table is drawing to a close, and summer hasn't even hit Seattle yet. That's beside the point which is you have through tomorrow, Wednesday, June 27 to post about a summer recipe, time around the table, or a table-related project and link it up right here. On Thursday, I'll choose a random winner from the link-ups and send them a box full of goodies.

Meanwhile, I've really been enjoying the recipes and projects that have been posted this month. And I even have a dessert to share. In all honestly, I seriously can't believe Tuesday at the Table has been running for over a year, and I've never shared this, my *most* requested recipe! (Hubby thinks cakeballs is the *most* requested, so I guess it's debatable.) Anyway, this is a great one for making ahead (it's even better!), and for a crowd, plus it's soooo easy. And it just happens to be our 'stand at the fridge & eat' favorite!

Easy Chocolate Toffee Crunch Poke Cake  
(commonly known as "Poke Cake")

  1 package  plain devil's food cake mix -- (18.25 ounces)
  1 1/3 cups water
  1/2 cup vegetable oil
  3 large  eggs
  1 cup  caramel ice cream topping
  1 container  frozen whipped topping -- (8 ounces) thawed
  1 cup  toffee-flavored chips

Place a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees. Lightly mist a 9-by-13-inch baking pan with cooking spray. Set aside. Place the cake mix, water, oil and eggs in a large mixing bowl. Blend with an electric mixer on low speed for 1 minute. Stop the machine and scrape the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Increase the mixer speed to medium and beat 2 minutes more, scraping the sides again if needed. The batter should be smooth. Pour into the prepared pan, smoothing it out with a rubber spatula. Place the pan in the oven. Bake the cake until it springs back when lightly pressed with your finger, 32 to 37 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven and place it on a wire rack to cool. Poke holes, 1 inch apart, in the cake with the handle of a wooden spoon. Fill each hole with caramel topping. Let the topping settle into the holes, then go back and fill them once again. Using a rubber spatula, spread the whipped topping smoothly over the top of the cake. Sprinkle the toffee-flavored chips evenly over the top. Cover the pan and refrigerate until ready to serve. Makes 12-15 servings if you're lucky.
Thanks for joining me for Tuesday at the Table's {summer} feature. Hope you've enjoyed it as much as I have!
                                 

13 comments:

  1. Ooooh! Low calorie too?!! Not sure toffee flavoured chips are available in Australia but that won't stop me! Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this recipe, Debbie! We're going to a cookout on Sunday and I was either going to bring this cake or s'mores bars and I think you just made my decision!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, so I never did find the extra time to whip up a potholder. I might still try though : )
    Yours are lovely

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poke cake! My mom used to make a Jello poke cake when I was a kid; I never thought there would be any other kind. I could see my family liking this one a lot, thanks for the recipe! Summer is coming....really...

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband will enjoy this recipe. I'll have to make it for his birthday. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Y U M! I want to be eating this now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would be THRILLED to send some of our broiling heat your way if I could :-) I feel like we're in summer hibernation over here. *sigh* But this cake looks yummy (as usual) and this month of recipes and sharing has been so fun - thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds utterly delicious, I think I'll have to make it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum!!I would love a piece of this right now with my coffee:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Needed a dessert for a family reunion we're going to today and I remembered you sharing this recipe. Can't wait to dig into it later!

    ReplyDelete