Friday, July 11, 2014

Rectangles In Rotation

Well the clock is ticking away on the MQG Fabric Challenge, so the pressure's been on to get this one done!
You may remember, this little bundle of Michael Miller Petal Pinwheels was given to all participating modern quilt guild members.
I picked up coordinating Cotton Coutures: seafoam, coral, kryptonite, fog, dirt, and soft white. In the end, I only used 4 of the prints and solids. I kind of hated leaving the seafoam out, but that's just how it worked. And instead of using the soft white as a background as I'd originally planned, my design process led me to use some Kona Cotton in Charcoal and Interweave Chambray in Pepper, both by Robert Kaufman. I tell you, that Pepper may just be my new favorite "basic". It has a lovely hand and I think was the defining moment in this quilt coming to life. 
The inspiration for the focus blocks came as I perused each little block in my "Unlocked" City Sampler quilt, which hangs on our family room wall. I can't really sit on the couch and not look at it, as if I'd try not to. It gives me lots of food for thought.
One of my favorite elements of this project was that charcoal partial "frame" in each block, and it was a no-brainer to repeat it in the border. For backing, I used a stash find, Mod Century by Jenn Ski. Goodness I adore this print, and I am more than a bit sad to have used every inch I had. But on the bright side, I think it made a perfect backing for my quilt design.
For quilting, I elicited the help of Pink Chalk Fabrics, who was kind enough to color-match thread for me. What a great service that is! I used 5 glorious colors to get the effect I was after: #2230 (medium peony), #1231 (spring green), #2615 (aluminium), #2326 (sand), and #2605 (medium gray). {Note: I used that peony in "Aurora", and it may just be my current non-neutral favorite. It's really quite perfect.} Anyway, I accented each center solid color out to the edge in a U-shape, echoing the charcoal frame with straight-line. Then I filled in the "corners" with more echoing straight-line in medium gray. You can see it best in the photo below - especially in the coral and "dirt" sections.
As a finishing touch, some matched binding was definitely in order. The quilt measures 44" square, and it just called to be washed and crinkled, so the texture is really terrific, especially with all that chambray. 

So whew! I {mostly} had fun with this one, am really pleased with my design, am happy with the fabrics I added to the original "assignment" (especially that chambray - thanks to Rachael/imagine gnats for her help in choosing that) and I met the deadline with room to spare. Off to link up . . .

Also linking up with Finish It Up Friday and Fabric Tuesday.

24 comments:

  1. Fun quilt! I love how you rotated the rectangles and have that larger "shadow".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! This is a stunning quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a really beautiful quilt. I really love how you have echoed the accent U-shapes from each rectangle with a larger one onthe bottom of the quilt, and using matching binding is the perfect finishing touch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your quilt has finished up so wonderfully! I love the quilting with the different threads, such a perfect finish. I also love how well this one showcases the feature fabrics but is still a mostly solid quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome, Debbie! I love how you alternated the quilting, and the partial borders plus chambray (which I need to check out) make it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you certainly rose to the challenge. I like it : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness I love the names of the Cotton Coutures fabrics...such fun! This quilt really came together nicely Deb.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous! I love the partial frames, and the bigger partial frame in the border. (Negative space?) And of course, the matched binding!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think this just may be my favorite quilt of yours!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your quilt and the idea with the partial frames.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I look forward to seeing this beautiful quilt at QuiltCon. I agree - you did a beautiful job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This turned out great and you are the master of matching up the binding!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this quilt, Debbie! Fantastic job!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the way this turned out. You put such a great modern frame on these prints!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love it! The back is awesome too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. First time on your blog. I love this quilt and so many of your other finishes. Definitely coming back! Beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love it! I'm surprised you didn't bring it to show an tell the other day!! Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It is beautiful! I just love everything about it, and the backing was just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  19. YOU already know I love this quilt and the block design is still bouncin around in my head....but I also love the perfect backing and how lovely it quilted. Nice job Debbie!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This looks amazing Debbie ! Such a brilliant design and the dense straight line quilting is perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This one turned out fantastic! Great choice for the back, too... I just used up the very last of my scraps from that print. :-(

    The shadow effect is cool - adds a little gravity to that line of fabrics.

    ReplyDelete