Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Scraptastic

It was a happy coincidence that when I read about the new Scraptastic Tuesday linky at she can quilt and mrs sew & sow, I just so happened to have a scrappy finish to share!
These are Log Cabin Hexi Potholders, made from a free Craftsy pattern by SewCanShe. Aren't they fun? I literally pulled from my scrap basket for these, which was alot of fun. For the backs, I used the same Boysenberry Linen Mochi Dots, which with a layer each of cotton batt and insul-bright in the middle, made for nice sturdy potholders.
You've probably already guessed that a couple of y-seams are necessary for each potholder, but they are quite manageable with Caroline's terrific tutorial. I quilted serpentine lines in a bright Aurifil 50wt #2535 (Magenta) - simple, quick, and fun! Chevron twill tape made perfect coordinating hangers, and without binding, these were a pretty fast project.
As I was making these, I kind of chuckled to myself at the palette I had chosen, as these were made for a family gift-exchange last weekend and not one of them has a pink, orange, and purple kitchen. Well wouldn't you know, my 6'6" brother-in-law ended up with them, and was actually quite excited. Pretty much made my day.
Linking up with Scraptastic Tuesday and Fabric Tuesday.

16 comments:

  1. so bright and happy! I'd have been happy to receive them too. so glad he loved them

    ReplyDelete
  2. these are awesome, I love that they finish as hexies!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are wonderful and I am going to put them on my holiday gift list. Thank you for sharing about Scraptastic Tuesday and for joining in the fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think they are lovely ! I think you have been reading our minds though...better watch what I think in future! Thanks for linking up to Scraptastic Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are absolutely lovely. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are so pretty! I would have loved getting them too. Great use of scraps!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I looove these. Perfect color palette! I love how you make a mixture of big things and small things. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I lOVE these- such happy and bright fun colours!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look amazing Debbie! I know I have some insulbrite hiding here somewhere as I would love to make some too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Perfect scrappy finish there! Loving the final recipient too :oD

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love these! I am going to have to make some.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those were very fun potholders! I'm going to take a look at my scrappy fabrics and see if I can find something to create some of those for myself--or gifts for other family members. Good idea. I need to get cranking on those soon for family and friends in the Midwest and East Coast. Hmmm. Thanks for you lovely work. Wish Barry hadn't snagged them--but he did love them. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very sweet potholders! We should all be so lucky to have such nice ones in our kitchens.:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Haha hilarious that BIL Barry picked these up. I mean, he must have good taste after all! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are great, thanks for the link to the tutorial, I'm thinking of giving them a go, but as coasters rather than pot holders. P.s I popped over from the scraptastic Tuesday link xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. These are really beautiful, lucky brother you have!

    ReplyDelete