Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Hand Blanket-Stitched Binding

If you've been around A Quilter's Table for very long at all, you probably know I'm often playing around with quilt bindings - scrappy, matched, angled, and striped - I've done them all. So in general, binding treatments catch my eye. As Emma/joworimakes's did on Instagram a couple of weeks ago.
We chatted about her hand blanket-stitched binding, and in the end, I thought you might like to see and hear about it too. So here, in Emma's words . . .

This is a very easy and fun binding finishing technique that I came up with when wanting a little something extra on the front of a mini quilt. It is nothing new – I have seen machined blanket stitch binding tutorials online, but I am a big fan of hand stitched pieces and thought the blanket stitch finish by hand would just add that something special that I wanted. It is great for adding extra interest on mini quilts, and so far that is all I have used it on – I don’t have the patience for hand binding on large quilts! If you are confident in your hand stitching however, there is no reason why you shouldn’t use it on larger quilts.  I have finished a few mini quilts using this technique now, with plans for many more - I think it makes for a charming finish!
To complete your binding using blanket stitch, simply sew by machine on the back of the quilt using your favourite technique, turn over to the front and secure (I love clover wonder clips for this step!) and use your blanket stitch to sew the binding down as if you are doing hand applique. My favourite blanket stitch tutorial is one from Adrianne at “On the Windy Side” which you can find here: http://www.onthewindyside.co.nz/2013/11/how-to-do-hand-blanket-stitched-applique.html

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions, or just to show off your work if you use this binding finish! You can find me on IG with the handle “joworimakes” or on flickr as “jowori”. Enjoy!

***ETA: Emma uses 2 strands of DMC floss or Aurifil 12wt thread for her hand-stitched binding.***

(mini is made from a slightly upscaled block from the Thimbleblossoms pattern “Salt Water”)
Isn't Emma's technique fun? If you've done any hand-finishing of binding on the front of a quilt, I'd love to hear about it. Thanks for sharing, Emma!

10 comments:

  1. This is such a great idea! Love the effect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a nice little something extra and would be a great addition to a fairly plain quilt back too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea. I think all your binding techniques are awesome as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this! I'm going to try it on some little mug rugs that I have started. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! I just wanted Emma to know how much I love her mini quilt! I would love to have it hanging on my wall, especially with the hand done blanket stitch! In fact, after all the holiday rush, I think me sewing some really cute mini quilts for me sounds like an excellent idea, and a lot of fun! Magistra13 at yahoo dot com
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  6. thank you all for the comments! I am so glad you like the technique! I look forward to seeing some of your projects pop up! Have a wonderful festive season! Emma (joworimakes)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing, this is such a nice idea. The effect looks amazing and I am sure other people will like this too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I high appreciate this post. It’s hard to find the good from the bad sometimes, but I think you’ve nailed it! would you mind updating your blog with more information?
    nescafe

    ReplyDelete