Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Flutterby

I can't say this is my favorite finish ever. All the components going into it were just fine; it's just the end result I'm not that fond of. 



Using Adrianne/Little Bluebell's darling Modern Butterfly pattern, I started in on this month's Mighty Lucky Quilting Club challenge: Building Blocks of Effective Contrast with Amy/Stitchery Dickery Dock. It began with 12 Contrast Studies, which were very interesting and gave me alot to think about. I had purposely chosen a block design that I thought met the basic criteria of the challenge yet was small and fairly quick. The further I got into the challenge though, the less compatible my block and my fabric pull proved to be. The block was a tad too simple, and since I'd pulled fabric from stash, in some instances what I had didn't really fit the bill. Still all a good learning experience, but.



I used half of the 6 1/2" blocks I made for my final 17" quilt top - the ones I liked best and showed off the butterflies. You may notice that not all of the butterfly blocks have that accent stripe that is so unique to Adrianne's pattern. That's due to the contrast study for that particular block. Anyway, I tried to make the best of things by tilting the blocks ever so slightly, using my favorite Essex linen in natural as a filler, and quilting with organic wavy lines to add some movement. 



So yeah, I'm saying "mission accomplished" on this one and moving on. End of story.

Linking up with Finish It Up Friday.

8 comments:

  1. You know, not all quilts can be favorites and I think it is almost more powerful to learn what doesn't work sometimes. And how cool to be exploring these ideas and techniques with mini quilts and not being committed to larger projects, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I especially love the way you quilted it! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I especially love the way you quilted it! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks like a fun cuddle quilt, and I love the quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've done this lots of times, too. I know what I want to do, have at it, and then am disappointed with the end product. But I can also remember showing one such product to others and they love it. Beauty, you know, is in the eye of the beholder. The person who loved it, got it. This is a lovely finish.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sometimes its the journey, not the destination that's important! Just think of the lessons you have learned while making this! And like Liz (previous comment) says, beauty is in the eye of the beholder'.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with some of the folks here - these Mighty Lucky Club challenges are all about the process and if you sometimes end up with something you're not crazy about, so what? 😄 I for one admire and respect that you got through the challenge. I didnt do this one because my month of May was insanely busy and this challenge looked like it was going to take forever.

    ReplyDelete
  8. beautiful quilt :-) Can you please share how your blocks came together? I want the shortcut to making quarter square triangles from sewing blocks together (not sewing from triangles)...do you know the trick?

    ReplyDelete