I can't say this is my favorite finish ever. All the components going into it were just fine; it's just the end result I'm not that fond of.
Using Adrianne/Little Bluebell's darling Modern Butterfly pattern, I started in on this month's Mighty Lucky Quilting Club challenge: Building Blocks of Effective Contrast with Amy/Stitchery Dickery Dock. It began with 12 Contrast Studies, which were very interesting and gave me alot to think about. I had purposely chosen a block design that I thought met the basic criteria of the challenge yet was small and fairly quick. The further I got into the challenge though, the less compatible my block and my fabric pull proved to be. The block was a tad too simple, and since I'd pulled fabric from stash, in some instances what I had didn't really fit the bill. Still all a good learning experience, but.
I used half of the 6 1/2" blocks I made for my final 17" quilt top - the ones I liked best and showed off the butterflies. You may notice that not all of the butterfly blocks have that accent stripe that is so unique to Adrianne's pattern. That's due to the contrast study for that particular block. Anyway, I tried to make the best of things by tilting the blocks ever so slightly, using my favorite Essex linen in natural as a filler, and quilting with organic wavy lines to add some movement.
So yeah, I'm saying "mission accomplished" on this one and moving on. End of story.
Linking up with Finish It Up Friday.