Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Modern Sampler :: Block I

It seems that every block in the Modern Sampler quilt along is its own kind of challenge. Block I was the challenge of many small pieces. Rather than piece each triangle one at a time, I opted to paper-piece each strip - still tedious but much more manageable, and a terrific way to use some scraps.


So I'm three-quarters done! Even with decent natural light, these blocks don't photograph easily, but you get the idea. And though I'm really liking the blocks with more color that I'm seeing under Instagram's #modernsamplerquiltalong, I'm still equally pleased with my decision to go very, very low-volume.


Linking up with Scraptastic Tuesday and the Modern Sampler monthly linkup.

12 comments:

  1. I like your low volume choice too. I especially like how the darker tones in your blocks, if placed in another project, might be the lightest values. Just shows how everything is relative.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your low volume choice too. I especially like how the darker tones in your blocks, if placed in another project, might be the lightest values. Just shows how everything is relative.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look great! Enough contrast so you can see what you're doing, yet restful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like how these are coming together and I think the quilt is going to be really lovely in these very low volumes. Interesting how grouping fabrics together like this makes the eye see subtle differences more dramatically.

    ReplyDelete
  5. sheesh that's a lot of tiny triangles! Paper piecing was a smart move. And I also love the low volumes

    ReplyDelete
  6. The low volume selection looks so pretty. What a great deviation from the usual. I really like this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your blocks are just gorgeous. Every time I see a new block I want to make it, too. And I would do it exactly in your color way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love seeing all these blocks together! When I say those little triangles I thought...oh no she didn't!! It's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your low volume sampler is awesome. Those tiny triangles are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can't wait to see this quilted! Less is definitely more here - very contemplative!Thank you for linking up to #scraptastictuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This project is so understated yet complex and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like those low volumes, too! It gives a calm feel to your sampler.

    ReplyDelete