Monday, December 5, 2016

Log Cabin Petite

As often happens as I'm pulling my newsletter together, I happen upon a design I have to explore further. This time it was the Quilt As You Go Log Cabin by Jera/Quilting in the Rain, posted on the Pellon site. Luckily, there was a brand new little boy that needed a quilt, so I headed straightaway to pull some fabric.



I haven't done alot of qayg, but it was perfect for this little quilt. As Jera described, it was "one form of 'quilt as you go' where a quilt is pieced directly onto one big piece of batting." Of course since the finished quilt measured just 33" x 36", it wasn't that big, which made it very easy to handle.

After sneaking a peek at photos baby's mama had posted on facebook, I had a hint at an appropriate color scheme. And I don't expect many of you to understand, but boy I enjoyed sewing with brown! It's been on my list for a while now, and this little quilt reminded me I need to set aside time to do it again soon.



Quilting was all done with irregularly spaced straight-lines in Aurifil 50wt 2370 [sandstone], a color I hadn't used before, but it added a softness to the browns while still tying in those greens.



Once the quilted top was done, I basted it to its backing and it didn't take too many passes to secure it. Jera provides a suggested quilting diagram and it worked perfectly.



So as this little quilt and its predecessor wing their way to their new homes, there's just one more baby quilt to make, then on to that Christmas sewing!

18 comments:

  1. The greens and browns blend so well together in this quilt. I have not done any QAYG myself, but somehow I envisioned quilting (including the backing) as part of the appeal, but even this quilting to batting and then securing the backing seems to have been a quick make.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's darling and I love the colors! luckily all of my baby quilts were earlier in the year. more to come next year...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like it - it looks great!
    Greetings from Germany,
    Rosi

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like masculine colors because that is my work wardrobe comor palette. It is just not as prevelant in the quilting world.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like masculine colors because that is my work wardrobe comor palette. It is just not as prevelant in the quilting world.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice, I love the fabric and the colors. You might loose it, if you set it outside . . . it totally blends in with the greens and browns of your Seattle winter :)
    Happy quilting!
    Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am not a "sewing with brown" person but I so like brown and green together. Somehow the green offsets the brown! Ha. Love this. This needs to be a "bundle" somewhere!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm like you and love brown too! Your quilt is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that combination of brown and green !

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really like this color combination! I have done small projects with QAYG. Christmas stockings last year and today I will be doin more. I want to make a log cabin blanket like your as well. I like the big "logs".

    ReplyDelete
  11. Darling quilt! I'm a fan of Jera's work and have made a few quilts using her various QAYG techniques. This one is perfect when you need a quick baby quilt, and I love the fabrics you chose :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fabulous combination of colour, fabric and design for a gorgeous finish, Debbie. I bet it will be loved and a favourite!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this, and how you do your little photo shoot. Perfect color combos. Especially love the backing fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a fabulous quilt for a baby boy - really love the colours!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Brown is a colour I usually avoid but the fabrics you chose look great with the greens, lovely backing too. A quilt to grow up with.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is a wonderful baby boy quilt! A very sophisticated color combo for a baby. It sure looks like the NorthWest! I like your quilting too. Sounds like it was a pretty fast make.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a wonderful way to make a baby quilt. I may need to give this a go!

    ReplyDelete