Thursday, October 19, 2017

Unity

One thing about my Bee Sewcial mates.... they are a very thoughtful bunch. Hillary/
entropyalwayswins is hostess this month, and chose the prompt of Unity, asking for long, skinny blocks that somehow represent ourselves. We were to use just two fabrics, a background and an “adornment” fabric, each in specific colors. Hillary herself will add connecting mustard strips through each of our blocks to give the semblance of us holding hands.



So that's alot to consider, right? After giving it some thought, I started with making ten crosscut blocks, which is a technique I first explored in a Bee Sewcial swap. We were instructed to leave a bit of a gap near the center of the strip for Hillary's addition, and I debated whether or not to even add anything to the end opposite the crosscuts. Then I thought of a way to illustrate the ten of us who participate in the bee, and I managed that with a row of improv stripes, united, and facing forward.



I felt a little guilty using two of my own tutorials in adding elements to my 6 1/2" x 50" strip block, but they represent me, right? That seemed to make it ok.

11 comments:

  1. What a cool concept and a wonderful execution. I don't think there is anything there to feel guilty about at all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They represent you for sure. I can’t wait to see this new be come together

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've filled that prompt out very well! Thinking on your feet or maybe it should be designing on your feet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You HAD to include those...they are you! Sounds like a fun project!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This long strip represents you perfectly! So don't worry! If it should be something about you, you had to use your own tutorials! :)
    Greetings from Germany
    Rike

    ReplyDelete
  6. The stripe defenitely represents you and thats what your mate asked for. It is pretty and you used her colours, she will love it.
    KATRIN W.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They represent you to a T!! Very well planned and thoughtful! You got it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is going to be one cool quilt when it’s all done! I love your block - it really does represent you well!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a cool prompt and interesting size for the block ! I love your interpretation !

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's always such fun to see what you and the bee do. Very original and creative work coming out of everyone. Love Hillary's idea of the long skinny blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very nice your blog and article. I like this blog thank for sharing.

    หนังชีวประวัติ

    ReplyDelete