Monday, February 13, 2017

Minimal Day :: Quarter Opals

One of the perks of being a part of the Seattle MQG is the annual block-of-the-month. In 2015, we did medallion quilts [here's my Confectionery], last year was improv [mine is currently in the quilting phase], and this year.....it's all about needle-turn applique!


Jonna/@bespokeoutlaw is behind it all, and our project is inspired by two pieces of jewelry designed by her great uncle, Russell Day. Intriguing already, right?

img_20170109_111638_072

In January, we gathered supplies, and now in February, we have the the instructions for our first blocks: Quarter Opals. With the option of making a wall-hanging or a lap-sized "Minimal Day Sampler," I'm choosing the smaller project. After rummaging in my stash, I chose a piece of Carolyn Friedlander's euclid as my background fabric, and a bundle of Anna Maria Horner voile scraps for the applique. [The prints are from her Little Folks line; the brown, I'm not sure.]


Having done plenty of applique back in my early quilting days, at least these gentle curves were quickly accomplished. Now I'm anxious for next month, though Jonna has already uttered that dreaded word.... templates!

If you want to follow along, a supply list and each month's blocks instructions can be found on the Seattle MQG website. We're tagging our Instagram posts with #seamqgbom2017 and #minimaldaysampler.

9 comments:

  1. It will be interesting to see where the year and blocks take you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so not an appliqué girl, especially needle turn, which is odd since I love handwork! can't wait to see where this goes

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this block and your background fabric is perfect ! It's really tempting to follow along ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to back track here for a moment to say thank you. I read your post about the sewing machine light that you bought. Because of that I purchased one as well. I love it!!! Thank you for reviewing it on your blog, this light has been a great help for me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tempting, very tempting... I have a bit of an itch to do a bit of hand applique... I just bought Carolyn Friedlander's book so will have to make a choice now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your guild is so creative and always has something going on! Great planning and leadership!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are off to a great start on this! Thanks so much for including it here too. It's going to be so fun to sew along together on our samplers all year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are off to a great start on this! Thanks so much for including it here too. It's going to be so fun to sew along together on our samplers all year!

    ReplyDelete