Monday, April 6, 2020

Round Pincushion + Pop Open Pouches (Again)

In addition to playing with scraps and stripes lately, I've tried another new pattern and made a few gifts. The pattern was Happy Sew Lucky's new Round Pincushion, which offers several sizes and designs of cute little puck-shaped pincushions. The one I made has a Plus on top and measures 4" across by 2 1/2" tall. Can't say I really needed a new pincushion, but I love the shape, so had to try one.


Then, after my planned quilting retreat in California got canceled due to you know what, I decided to go ahead and finish the Pop Open Pouches I had cut out to make for my retreat buddies. I've enjoyed making this pattern by Aneela Hoey several times already, so I was more than happy to revisit it.


I made three, each (hopefully) suited to the recipient. I love using a cotton/linen blend for the exterior of this particular pattern, and considering they contain a layer of fusible fleece, the combo makes for a soft but sturdy pouch.


Dare say, I think picking out linings are half the fun.


Each was finished with a leather zipper tab, which I enjoy so much. I think it's a nice touch and seem to have much more consistent results than with fabric.


And of course, leather zipper pulls were also in order. They seem to be my go-to now.


Soooo, those got mailed off to my retreat friends, just a small reminder of how much I missed being able to be with them.

8 comments:

  1. Picking the lining fabric is definitely a lot of fun. I'm sure that your retreat friends missed getting to be with you, too, and will make your next get together, when possible again, all the sweeter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These pouches look great! What a fun triangle shape.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super triple finish and a useful gift for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The round pincushion is pretty amazing! It looks so perfect. As do all three of the zipper pouches! You always pick amazing combinations and do such a wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the shape of your pincushion! And of course the fabric choice for all these projects 😊

    ReplyDelete
  6. The pouches look so beautiful - the leather tab and pull definitely give them a really neat and professional touch. And that pincushion is really fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The pouches look fun. What a thoughful gift. I am sure they were well received :) xo Melanie

    ReplyDelete