Tuesday, June 1, 2021

May Fabric Usage

I give up. Meaning I'm not going to torture you (or me) with these monthly attempts at fabric usage accountability. Am I sewing less? Am I buying more? I really don't know and I've decided that's ok!

Last week, I had an opportunity to increase my solid stash at a good value, and I took it. Beyond that, I also purchased specific fabric for a specific project that I'm working on now, and I'll share that soon. But really, there hasn't been terrific progress in the hoped-for direction, and it just is what it is. Not that I'm going to stop keeping track, but I think I'll hold off and report back here at summer's end. How's that for a compromise?


Funny thing is, I did use more fabric this month than any other this year! So there's still hope, right?

May Fabric Usage
Used up: 12.09 yards
Brought in: 22.75 yards
Net: 10.66 yards
Year to date: 8.65 yards

8 comments:

  1. I don't blame you. It's frustrating to keep track assuming there will be a huge change - only to realize in order to use this, we need to buy this. Or passing up sales on fabric we know we'd end up buying in the future anyway. I did spend way too long yesterday piecing a back so I didn't have to buy any fabric. My savings ended up being very little if you consider how long it took me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you didn't pass up the good deal (and ability to help out a small business), and I hope that you continue to find you use up nice amounts of fabric. I enjoy seeing what you make. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's like getting on the scale every day hoping you'll be able to see that you skipped dessert yesterday. If it doesn't impede your ability to keep track, quarterly seems like timing that will show you a meaningful difference. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I really like your new colors, many exciting possibilities.
    And yes, June is a good month for rethinking and reorganizing so you can move on with what's important.
    Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  5. let it go my friend! you make such beautiful art and nobody (even you!) needs to know what direction the usage is going.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't despair-- at least we're not wasting our cash in bars!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love that stack of fabric! I don’t blame you for giving up. I tried to keep track of my fabric usage a few years ago and then realized I really didn’t care so stopped! I now buy quilting fabric when I need it except for solid backgrounds and backing which I always have a supply on hand.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do not mind the post, even if it is just the numbers so you can keep track. But I also see that it might frustrate you. So do whatever feels good for you. I think it is fun to know what you used and whether you are building stash up or not. But if it gets stressful for you, or you feel like you can't buy that bargain fabric you loved, then stop. Or ust put it all in one excell you check every year... It should still be a hobby you love not extra stress. xo

    ReplyDelete