Tuesday, March 29, 2022

Scrappy Beads

So I started a new scrappy improv quilt, inspired by a 'bead block' in Irene Roderick's new "Improv Quilting." I have no idea how my strings of beads will fit together, but for now I'm enjoying making them, and that's good enough for me.

The palette is a unique one: brick(ish), teal, gray, and purple. The reason is simple.... it's the palette of the website and communications for the church I've been working at for the last 23 years. In honor of my upcoming retirement(!), I decided I might as well make myself a quilt to commemorate the event. Why not, right?


After making several strands of 4" tall beads, it seemed some variety in sizes would be good, so my latest length - about 36" long - is 5.5" tall. I expect to be at this a while, figuring it out as I go, but it feels good to be working through some scraps!

4 comments:

  1. I think it's wonderful to commemorate your retirement and something that has been such a big part of your life with a quilt. I look forward to seeing how it grows!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun concept! A quilt project to commemorate your retirement, and onto more great pursuits!
    I'm going to look into Irene Roderick's Improv Quilting, and her 'Bead Block', thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! It's a bit of a preparation and memory quilt in one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a wonderful idea to make a quilt to celebrate your retirement. loving your bead blocks...

    ReplyDelete