Wednesday, March 23, 2022

Scrappy Potholders

A couple of weeks ago, I was debating what scrappy project to start next, when I happened across a handful of scrappy slabs left over from a project in 2013!! Ha! At first, I couldn't even remember what they were from! I very briefly considered putting them right back in the closet they had come from, but I'm glad I didn't.


Rather than start in on a rainbow quilt, which isn't really my thing, I thought to make some potholders, and then I remembered the unique shape I had seen Hannah Haberkern/@verdigrissewing use, and it was settled. 


I finished one and added a hand-stamped leather 'label' that I thought was really fun, though I admit it hasn't been fully field-tested yet. We've used the potholder several times and the metal rivets haven't conducted enough heat to be bothersome; but it has yet to be washed, so we'll see how the leather holds up to washing.



Meanwhile, those scrappy slabs were enough to make 15 potholders total!!! Yeah, that was a lot! But I love the shape, and enjoyed finding backings from stash, and using coordinating thread to randomly quilt each one as I felt inspired.


So what does one do with 15 potholders?! Well I kept the red one with the leather label to field-test completely; but I had my mom choose a pair, and the rest went home with my brother, who's been visiting from out of town, to share with my nieces and nephews. Serendipitously, I had the perfect number!

13 comments:

  1. What a unique design/shape for using up your precious improv scraps! I love them, and think that odd, symmetrical shape is what makes them so nice. Much better than a plain 'ole square! Even better is that you could give them away. Doesn't it warm your heart to know that extended family has a bit of you in their kitchen? It's great! You're counting down the days now, aren't you? I keep thinking of you, and how your life will enter a new era. I hope it's as wonderful and fun as you deserve.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, it was meant to be that you had the right number! And I love that you were able to turn those scrap slaps into so many useful objects. It will be interesting to hear your conclusion on the additional leather label over time as the pot holder gets used and washed more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Debbie, I absolutely adore these potholders! I love the bright colors and that great shape! You inspire me to get into my scraps to sew some scrappy fabric slabs to turn into potholders too. But right now I already have too many projects in the making. But this needs to go on my to do list for sure. I’m glad to didn’t tuck those slabs back out of sight. Your family will be thrilled with them. You sure can’t buy any in the store that look this fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are so fun! I love the improv scrappiness but the best is the interesting shape. I b
    et they are the highlights in their new kitchens :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely! I noticed that Hannah quilted hers with the organic straightine technique.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I really do love everything about Hannah's!

      Delete
  6. This shape is wonderful! I think I will sew up a few for myself!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that shape and how they turned out...wonderful to have just enough!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really love these! Ive been thinking about making more potholders for the kids shop at church this fall and these would be perfect. hmm

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful!! Hope the leather holds up to the laundering because it is really a great embellishment.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can't seem to find a pattern for the shape or do you just invent it? Approximate size?

    ReplyDelete
  11. What fun potholders! so nice Brother J was out to visit...and the fam will love the gift back to them!

    ReplyDelete