Friday, February 23, 2024

Hemingway Pouch

Have you seen the Hemingway Pouch? I'd been seeing a lot of them in my Instagram feed, and they were a very unique pouch style. Color me intrigued. So when Kristina @centerstreetquilts mentioned an upcoming sewalong, I figured that would be a good way to see how this thing was constructed.


I chose to use a batting scrap for my pouch, though another option would have been foam stabilizer. I was also making the large size, and the first step was to quilt up a quilt sandwich.


Zipper by the yard is kind of a novelty for me, and I thought it would be fun to try some that came with a variety of colors of zipper pulls. Mine were from Patterns By Annie, size #4.5. And honestly, the zipper installation was the easiest yet, especially when I followed Kristina's little tip of trimming off a few zipper teeth first.


The large Hemingway Pouch (9" x 12") fits my Kindle with room to spare. I may try the medium size to see if I like that fit better, but this one definitely works.


I still can hardly believe I put that zipper pull on myself! ;-)


As a little p.s., Kristina led us through making a small bonus pouch with the trimmed off section from our original! Mine is 5" x 6".


I can't say I'm thrilled with my choice of solid back zipper binding with that white zip, but live and learn. I still consider these a success. And it was fun to learn something new!

4 comments:

  1. What an unusual pouch! I really like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yours turned out really well! I haven't finished mine - I forgot to trim it after quilting (facepalm), so I'll be doing a bit of adjusting. Haha. Live and learn is right!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That came out really nice! I've been thinking about trying out that pattern myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are definitely a success! Nice that you can fit a Kindle or I-Pad inside... neither of which I have myself. Love the little bonus pouch too. You made good fabric choices. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete