Friday, June 28, 2024

ColorScape

After finishing up a commission quilt recently, a new table runner, and a batch of quilted bookmarks, I was kind of at a loss at what to do next. Isn't it great when you find yourself with nothing pressing?

So I hauled out my bin of solid scraps, and started in on a scrappy thing inspired by some of Ophelia Pang's @opheliapangg works. Very few colors were rejected as I pulled from the scrap basket, making columns of multi-colored stripes of varied widths. I even added in a few black, white, and gray strips, and by some miracle, the happiest palette began to emerge.

I stopped when the quilt top nearly filled my design wall at 56" x 69". I hadn't really had in mind to make a quilt that large, but what did I expect? There are plenty of scraps left. I could have kept going and going. 

Instead, I opted to see what I had in stash for a pieced quilt backing, without being too fussy about it. Predominantly orange seemed to make the most sense once I found some good sized pieces that worked together. And on those fabrics I found a bit of a surprise - two especially fun selvages. I decided to trim those off and make them a focal point, which is something I very rarely do. But they just seemed to 'fit' this quilt, don't you think?

For quilting, I rummaged through my collection of small spools of Aurifil 40wt and 50wt, hoping to use a variety of colors both in the bobbin and as the top thread. Originally thinking 40wt for the quilting and 50wt for the bobbin, I ended up using both 40wt and 50wt for the quilting because of the colors I chose to use: Aurifil 40wt 2150 [Pumpkin], 2423 [Baby Pink], 4020 [Fuschia], 6722 [Crimini] and Aurifil 50wt 2115 [Lemon], 2886 [Light Avocado], 5006 [Light Turquoise], 7000 [Neon Orange]. This wild mix of thread colors made the quilting most enjoyable.

I used my hera marker to mark every 2" to 4" for beginning lines of an uneven grid. Once I had those lines done, I filled in randomly, ending up with lines .5" to 2" apart. I really like using Erica's @kitchentablequilting method for grid quilting. It always gives me such a great result, and this time was no exception.

This quilt was trimmed without much squaring or measuring. It just wasn't important for this particular project. Up to that point, things had been pretty relaxed, so why stop? For binding, I continued to pull right out of the scrap basket, odds and ends of other bindings from other projects. I think the scrappiness fits the quilt well enough.



Honestly, I loved the process of making this quilt, and the resultant finish, so much, I could easily dive right back in and make another. I probably won't do that, but one of these days, I may.... 


For now, I took my friend Erica's @kitchentablequilting advice, and had hubby take a photo of me with my finished quilt!


7 comments:

  1. Oh, the quilt top looks like it was fun to piece together, but I really adore the feature of the selvages on the back of the quilt. And of course a scrappy binding was the right choice to finish this fully scrappy (including the riot of quilting thread color) quilt! Thanks so much for linking up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fabulous finish. However, it’s the process that i really love reading about. I think it’s quilt therapy for sure!! You did a great job and demonstrated to us all that mindless sewing can be very rewarding!! Thanks so much for sharing your beauty… now go snuggle with a good book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you like it. And yes, definitely quilt therapy. Must say I'm even surprised how much I love the outcome.

      Delete
  3. Your beautiful quilt just pops with all those lovely colours! Love both the front and the back - just awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous finish!!! I was just admiring it on your newsletter! Sunny back, too, as is documented with the selvages!!! Scrappy binding is the perfect edge for this quilt! Love the photo with you in it, too, Debbie!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. There's nothing better than having a "free day" in the quilt room, and you made the most of it. Your quilt is so cheerful and fun, with all those lovely colors. The addition of the selvages was a great idea, as well as using up scrap binding. Playing with all those thread colors - love it!

    ReplyDelete