Thursday, October 1, 2026

Slim Pickings

Throughout September, I've been working pretty steadily on two big quilt projects, and the other day, I just needed something small. And scrappy. So I peeked in my solid scrap basket, which is honestly getting pretty low, and pulled out all the warm scraps I could find. They were a fun mix, but it felt like they needed something. So looking into my stash closet, I chose a small-ish (1/4 yard?) of deep Kona Deep Blue.


With the blue, I cut a few strips both 1" and 1.5" wide, and then just started piecing the scraps in log-cabin-like blocks, inserting a strip or two of the blue into each one. Then I squared them all up, but obviously not too square. Then I used more of the blue to puzzle the blocks together with the same 1" and 1.5" wide strips.



I had just a few pieces of warm solids left to start a pieced quilt back, so I grabbed my warm print scrap bucket, and stole a few from there to bring it up to size.



For quilting, I stitched an angled grid using Aurifil 40wt 5015 [Gold Yellow]. Maaayyyybe it was a bit much, but it felt right at the time, and I was all about just having fun with it. I bound the little quilt with the very last of the Deep Blue, and it finished at 16" x 23".



So that was a fun little interlude, and it encouraged me to get back to quilting the bigger project, so yay! Plus I used up even more scraps. I'm thinking I might just have enough solid scraps for one more quilt, so we'll see if I can get to that before long.

3 comments:

  1. Super finish!! I really like the Kona Deep Blue contrasting the other warm solids. And I like how you quilted it, I gotta try that!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful! love the colors. So vibrant. Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that's great you were able to use up all of the blue you pulled to pair with the warm scraps AND that this fun quilt encouraged you to get back to quilting a bigger project. I hope that is going well, too!

    ReplyDelete