Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Tuesday at the {summer} Table

I think I've told you before that I'm the designated birthday-treat-provider for the staff I work with. Most of the time, when a birthday rolls around, I just make whatever strikes my fancy. But several of my coworkers have a favorite, and they have no qualms about reminding me in advance, "I want such-and-such."

And of course, even before she told me, I knew Colleen would want pie. And not just any pie, but a particular pie . . .
Berry Streusel Pie from bonappetit.com. She's asked for it before and I'm pretty sure she'll ask for it again. It's easy and tasty as far as pie goes - a perfect end to a summer meal - and of course, a mighty fine mid-day snack around the conference table.

Meanwhile, Tuesday at the {summer} Table is off and running! I've enjoyed all the link-ups and comments about the summer table and am looking forward to more of you joining in. Feel free to link up here - a recipe, a table-related project, a story from your table. A fun prize awaits one lucky linker-upper, but more important, we can just take pleasure in good food and meaningful times shared around the table.

Oh and I do have a favorite salad recipe to share! Though it is really tasty, it also has that fine do-ahead quality I especially enjoy for entertaining.

North Pointe Salad 
from Pacific Fresh by Maryana Vollstedt

2 Tb. vegetable oil
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tomatoes, seeded, drained, and each cut into 8 wedges
1 large head romaine lettuce
4 green onions, including some tender green tops, sliced
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1/2# bacon, fried crisp, then crumbled
North Pointe Dressing (recipe follows)

Combine oil and garlic in large salad bowl and mix well. Add tomatoes and stir to coat well with oil.

Tear lettuce into bite-size pieces and drop into bowl atop tomatoes. Scatter green onions, cheese, and bacon on top. Do not stir. Cover tightly and refrigerate up to 3 or 4 hours.

Just before serving, pour dressing over greens and mix salad thoroughly.

North Pointe Dressing
1/3 cup vegetable oil
juice of 1 lemon
freshly ground pepper
1/2 tsp. dried oregano, crumbled

In a small bowl, whisk together all ingredients. Cover and refrigerate until well chilled.

Have a good day! Have a good week! Take some time to celebrate the table.

Link up here . . .

6 comments:

  1. I wish you worked in my office! What lucky coworkers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That salad sounds great. If a recipe has bacon in it, I'm there. Going to check out the pie link. BTW.. my birthday is in September and I'll take a blueberry pie, haha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am definitely going to be trying that pie!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I should have used this salad dressing the other day when I made salad only to realize we had NO dressing, we ended up using horseradish mustard! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. from Gina....

    Hi, Debbie. I have made this salad many times over the years and, believe me, it hits the spot!

    Dierbergs - Southwest Chopped Salad

    Gina
    (here is the link:http://www.dierbergs.com/School/Recipes/S/So/Southwest/Southwest+Chopped+Salad.aspx)Looks delish!

    ReplyDelete