Monday, June 25, 2012

Zakka Along Week 13 :: Patchwork Pot Holders

What kitchen can't use new potholders? Mine sure can, so I've been looking forward to making some zakka style. The pattern, by retro mama, was easy to follow, and a pair took just a few hours.

Though I wasn't sure what purpose the 'interlining' served, and since I didn't have the suggested fabrics, I added a layer of Warm & White along with the Insul-Brite. If I make these again, I'll probably piece random fabric strips together for the front, rather than cutting them to be specific widths and lengths - that was the most time-consuming part of the whole pattern. I machine-quilted randomly spaced, with some wavy lines and some straight.
I followed the pattern and used single-fold binding for the back 'pockets', and stitched them completely by machine. For the binding around the pot holder's edges, I did my normal double-fold binding though (2 1/4"), finishing off with hand-sewing because I would have felt deprived if I hadn't! (Check out retro mama's post with updated instructions for applying the bindings. I saw this after I was done, but in case you are still stitching . . .)
These have just the right sturdiness, and they are already in my kitchen drawer, ready to be put to use!

Unfortunately, Penny from Sew Take a Hike wasn't able to share about her project today, but sew-along hostess Lindsey will soon, so I'll add a link to her post when I see it did - here. Revised to say, Lindsey's are SO fun - you won't want to miss them!

Linking up with LRStitched and Little Quilt Monday.

20 comments:

  1. I love these - the colours are great and I really like your quilting lines - wavey and straight add another dimension. The project was good fun and quite quick but like you I wouldn't measure the strips next time but will just pick and choose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! I love the wavy quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute! Looks like you did a great job binding that circle!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, I love your quilting! And the rest of them, of course. But the quilting really works well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pretty AND practical. I like your quilting lines. I have been brainstorming a way to quilt a new top I just finished, I might use your combo of the wavy and straight lines -- it looks so nice!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are great! I couldn't bring myself to do the circular design! They are fun to make, aren't they!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Two of my favorite things...books and sewing. Love your bag!

    ReplyDelete
  8. ooops...the comment above was supposed to go on the previous post.
    Oh well.. I was waiting for these pot holders to show up. They turned out great : )

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pretty aquatic colour combos, and love the wave like stitching

    ReplyDelete
  10. whoa, now those are cool! i like the way the wavy line quilting looks with those fabrics. have fun putting them to use!

    ReplyDelete
  11. They look great, love the quilting effect. Cutting is very time consuming, if only we could buy projects we want to make ready cut with out choice of fabrics =D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love these Debbie - the colours are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  13. How cute! The wavy lines and the colors remind me of the beach. Perfect for summer cooking!

    ReplyDelete
  14. They turned out beautiful Debbie!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Debbie--I love your round potholders! I really must try to do some of those one day soon. That would be a fun thing to stitch up to take to friends in Nebraska, too. Thanks for sharing that idea. Been busy this week getting ready for a church yard sale---so once again time is not my own!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for the link to the update! I cut my binding at 2" and was like, how in the world is this going to work! The updated directions help tremendously! HA! Christmas sewing is under way over here!

    ReplyDelete