Monday, July 30, 2012

A Taste of Marmalade

A Taste of Marmalade is a baby quilt, quite simple in construction, yet a delightful little finish. The pattern is Storytime Squares, designed by Rae Hoekstra of made by RAEI first used this pattern when I made a version for 100 Quilts for kids last fall.
Storytime Squares for 100 Quilts for Kids
For this new quilt, I was thrilled to find some marmalade charm packs out in blogland, as baby's mama had indicated she loved the fabric when I pinned it on Pinterest. 


The quilt finished at 42" square, a tad smaller than the original, as I used 5" charm squares, rather than the 5 1/2" blocks the pattern suggests. For quilting, I used my machine's wavy stitch, stretched out as wide and long as it would go.
Backing is an overall floral that coordinates nicely, and the binding a tiny blue and white dot, both courtesy of Ruby.
So cross off project #2 from my Third-Quarter Finish-A-Long list!

Linking up with TNT Thursday.

31 comments:

  1. So pretty Debbie - love the splashes of orange in the Marmalade fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It turned out lovely. Did you use 2 charm packs?

    ReplyDelete
  3. A really nice quilt Debbie, love the Marmalade. After seeing this, I went and downloaded the pattern. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is a wonderful looking quilt. You did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Debbie, this is adorable! Love this fabric line, and this is such a sweet, simple way to show it off!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that will be one guaranteed happy baby mamma :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a sweet quilt! I love that you used a wavy stitch from your machine! I think I need to try that too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful! Love the fabrics and the quilting gives such a great texture! My machine only seems to do very strange stitches that are good for nothing!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a charming baby quilt. And I love that wavy stitch which alas, my machine doesn't do.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sweet quilt, Debbie! That fabric line is perfect for a new baby! I really need to try that pattern sometime, too. Yay for another finish!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really love this baby quilt Debbie - one of my all time favourites.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pretty! I might use the same pattern. Lucky you to have such lovely fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cutest quilts. Often simple is the best.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cute wee baby quilt, like the splashes of orange

    ReplyDelete
  15. Debbie, this is such an adorable quilt. Love how pretty and cheery it is.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous quilt - love the fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Loving the quilt! The pattern is simple yet so effective. The quilting really brings out those prints =D

    ReplyDelete
  18. Debbie that baby quilt is gorgeous!!!! I have lots of charms that could use a home in a quilt like this!!! Thanks for sharing the link to the pattern and for being inspired to use charms instead of 5.5" squares!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love that baby quilt, so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a gorgeous quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love Marmalade!!! Your quilt is so cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. this is beautiful .i love those marmalade fabrics

    ReplyDelete
  23. Really pretty quilt. What a lucky little baby girl!

    ReplyDelete
  24. With using the charm squares - what size white sashing did you end up using to make it all fit?
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I honestly don’t remember, but from a quick glance, it seems it should be cut 2 ¾” for a 2 ¼” finished sashing - ?

      Delete
  25. How can I find out how to make this quilt?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you check back here as I don't have your email: http://www.made-by-rae.com/2010/12/finito-storytime-squares-quilt-in-far-far-away-ii/

      Delete