Sunday, July 29, 2012

::Improvisational Free-Piecing Workshop::

So the workshop with Quilting Modern's Katie Pedersen was great fun! Since this post is photo-heavy, I'll just comment a bit about each . . .
 Ready to go with fabric 'kits' from Katie . . .

 Katie's stash - brought to share!

 Playing on the design wall with our strip sets for strip-piecing.
Katie's advice: "distance is your friend". ie. step back to get a better view.

Just my strips, ready to piece

 My strip set all stitched up

Using strip-pieced strips, including "slice & insert" technique

 Example of a way to use the cut-up strips in Katie's "Anything Goes"

Practicing stitch and flip triangles

 Katie telling about wonky stars using stitch and flip triangles


 Mocking up my Improvisational Log Cabin block on the design wall.

Finished Improvisational Log Cabin block, for which I have further plans!

 My try at Improvisational Curves

My modern crazy-pieced block - still in progress.

 The scraps, rummaged.

Basically, we covered the techniques in the book, with lots of room for questions, playing with fabric, and Katie sharing from her experience. I'm anxious now to incorporate what I've seen and learned into future projects!

22 comments:

  1. It looks like you had a great time and I love all your blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That's so great! My favorite is your log cabin block. How fun was it to rummage through those scraps? Whee!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you had a great time and learned a lot! Thanks for sharing your pics

    ReplyDelete
  4. Working like that must have felt free-ing. It would be like stepping out of the box. Very cool. Those scraps - like a kid in a candy store!
    Barb@Witsend

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like such a fun class. How cool that Kaitie shares her own scraps!

    I think you did a great job with all, especially the improvisational curves.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks amazing! I have her book and I'll admit I feel a bit intimidated by it. Improv doesn't come naturally to me at all!! Would love to have been in that class.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks like a great course. I wish we had more stuff like that in the UK, I really need help with my improv side :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun day!!! I love log cabin and the curves. That's awesome when you get to try new techniques and just play.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh boy you are so lucky. I would have loved to take that class!

    ReplyDelete
  10. sounds like a great class! isn't it fun to improvise like that? love your log cabin block. What are your plans for it?

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks like it was a lot of fun! How cool to rummage through someone else's scraps. Loving the blocks you made and the techniques shown =D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like a fab time was had by all! I totally forgot to take my camera out at our big sewing meet up today - doh!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks like a lot of fun. Too would have loved to have taken that class. Your work looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like fun....it's a wonderful book and I'm sure the workshop was fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow - you are doing justice to the techniques in this great book! Your curves are super cool and so smooth!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks like an amazing class!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm so jealous. Was just reading the book last night but to take a class with Katie . . . lucky you. : )

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks like we'll be seeing some fairly modern quilts come out of your sewing room. Glad you had a nice day : )

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh so jealous! The book is so amazing, I can't imagine meeting Katie in person. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow! Looks great and it sure looked like fun too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. good for you, Debbie!!! All your blocks look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Looks like fun! I'm sure you'll come up with a way to use what you learned. Can't wait to see your improv projects!

    ReplyDelete