Unassuming as it looks, this week's Zakka project held an 'oh-wow!' moment or two for me. But let's start at the beginning . . .
This project comes from Between the lines, and is highlighted by one shabby chick. Be sure and check out the post by OSC, because she had some good alternatives to consider - snaps instead of buttons, the use of more printed fabric, and some clever stitching.
I chose to make this project right off as it seemed to fit well with the Tuesday at the Table theme for July - picnics! For the main body of the bottle holder, I used Essex Linen in Putty, and then paired it with some KONA Crush in Natural. For the contrasting patchwork, I cut into one of my newer stash adds, Lucy's Crab Shack by Sweetwater for Moda. This is one of my new fav text fabrics, I love the little bits of color spattered amid the black text, and the beachy theme just fit.
Now about those 'oh-wow!' moments! They came near the end, when it was time to make buttonholes on the straps. (I actually considered forgoing the buttons and holes and just stitching those handles right on!) Anyway, I've had my current sewing machine 2 years, and never made buttonholes. Let's just say, "awesome". I won't be intimidated next time buttonholes are in order. Once I figured it out, it was pretty much effortless . . . same with sewing on the buttons. Learned two new things about my machine!
There was one confusing bit about this pattern that I haven't seen addressed anywhere. And that involves the measurements overall. When I stuffed my lining into the finished holder, a fold was at the very top edge, which is where I did a double row of top-stitching. The one One Shabby Chick made does not look like it did that. AND the pic in the book shows the top and bottom both about the same height, but mine nor OSC's are. My holder measures 7 1/2" tall vs. the 6" indicated by the pattern. So not sure if or what I did different, but it's done and it holds a water bottle well, so I'm going with it.
Linking up with lrstitched.