Monday, July 2, 2012

Zakka Along Week 14 :: Water Bottle Holder

Unassuming as it looks, this week's Zakka project held an 'oh-wow!' moment or two for me. But let's start at the beginning . . .

This project comes from Between the lines, and is highlighted by one shabby chick. Be sure and check out the post by OSC, because she had some good alternatives to consider - snaps instead of buttons, the use of more printed fabric, and some clever stitching.

I chose to make this project right off as it seemed to fit well with the Tuesday at the Table theme for July - picnics! For the main body of the bottle holder, I used Essex Linen in Putty, and then paired it with some KONA Crush in Natural. For the contrasting patchwork, I cut into one of my newer stash adds, Lucy's Crab Shack by Sweetwater for Moda. This is one of my new fav text fabrics, I love the little bits of color spattered amid the black text, and the beachy theme just fit.
Now about those 'oh-wow!' moments! They came near the end, when it was time to make buttonholes on the straps. (I actually considered forgoing the buttons and holes and just stitching those handles right on!) Anyway, I've had my current sewing machine 2 years, and never made buttonholes. Let's just say, "awesome". I won't be intimidated next time buttonholes are in order. Once I figured it out, it was pretty much effortless . . . same with sewing on the buttons. Learned two new things about my machine!
There was one confusing bit about this pattern that I haven't seen addressed anywhere. And that involves the measurements overall. When I stuffed my lining into the finished holder, a fold was at the very top edge, which is where I did a double row of top-stitching. The one One Shabby Chick made does not look like it did that. AND the pic in the book shows the top and bottom both about the same height, but mine nor OSC's are. My holder measures 7 1/2" tall vs. the 6" indicated by the pattern. So not sure if or what I did different, but it's done and it holds a water bottle well, so I'm going with it.


Linking up with lrstitched.

18 comments:

  1. Love it Debbie!!! I think I've had my machine for 2+yrs and haven't done a botton hole either. ha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore my machine's buttonhole stitch. I'd never make a button (or sew a button on, either!) without it! Your holder looks great, and beachy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great water bottle holder! And you've inspired me (maybe...) to also attempt a buttonhole stitch for the first time using this project. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's lovely and I bet it could carry my coffee too, might have to make one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your version! I guess I will have to go for the button holes too. Never made one with my recent sewing machine either and I really did not enjoy making them on the other one.
    Better try it ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very fun ans useful! I agree, buttonholes are fun to make once you figure out your machine!

    ReplyDelete
  7. it looks great, Debbie. I should really give this project a try. Love all the fabric you chose, so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks great! Love the mix of fabrics. Maybe its the seam allowance you used that changed the measurements. That happened to me when I was making the sewing kits. =D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ahh, I love my automatic button holer setting... Hmm, now I have an Olympic related walking challenge coming up, maybe I need to make me one of these too. Failing that I could just open my mouth and drink the constant rain :o/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great job Debbie! Buttonholes are fun to make, now you know how, hey!?

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is such a great idea - I need something like this to carry water with me when I go walking.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your bottle holder, Debbie! And kudos to you for trying something new with your machine. I've had mine for a year and am still learning about it, usually by accident!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this idea--it will make perfect gift for my walking friend if I can get around to doing it before her b-day soon. This could probably be adapted to a larger size and lined with some insulating fabric for a "picnic" wine carrier. Hmm. Thanks for sharing the water bottle carrier!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great fabric choices, I really like this. I wonder if a bigger one could be made for a wine bottle ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. love the cover Debbie! I'm with you on the buttonholes, I've never done it either! Perhaps I'll have to give it a try :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ah, your water bottle holder turned out lovely! Thanks for telling us your "take" on this project.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yours turned out great, Debbie! I'm ready to start mine any minute, and your comments will be helpful.

    ReplyDelete