Friday, July 20, 2012

Zakka Along Week 16 :: Patchwork Ribbon

I'm a curling-ribbon kind of gal. So when I saw this week's project, my Zakka-loving heart kind of sank a tiny bit. And when I read about The Patchsmith's experience, it sank some more. But gee whiz, the project was by Melody Miller, for goodness sake. Out of respect for her awesomeness, I at least had to give her project a go. So it was a relief of sorts when I saw that Linda of I Finally Have Time and Simone de Klerk were happy with how theirs turned out.

I had some sherbet pips jelly roll strips languishing in the stash closet, and was hopeful they might make some cute ribbon. Besides, the thought of patch-working strips together was out of the question. (Not sure why I didn't think to add some linen in there though - silly me.) Anyway, with the pinked edges, I experienced very little fraying as I stitched them up, right sides together. I went with a pink straight stitch, which worked just fine and added a little contrast to the mostly light-colored length. I used ten strips stitched end to end, then halved, to made a length about 6 1/2 yards long. 
I pressed and starched several times with Best Press, but it was still pretty limp when I tied up my Zakka book.
But at least it smelled linen fresh!


Linking up with lrstitched.

19 comments:

  1. Yours turned out so sweet! Love how you used the zigag sciccors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect to tie up a swap item for a quilter. It is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah well, you did it! Onwards and upwards. It is cute though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You make everything look so tempting Debbie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you said "out of respect for Melody Miller's awesomeness." So true!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adorable! This would be a charming way to wrap a baby gift or a present for a little girl! I love that it's not too stiff...and that it smells good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. this fabric is perfect for the ribbon, so adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the fabric you used in your ribbon.
    Maybe you could add a few square postage stamps on linen to them with the recipient's name on to sneak some linen in there ;0)
    Its more than gorgeous as is though xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Heh, the book looks cute with its bow anyway :o)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pinking the edges is an excellent idea - it is what they do to the charm squares and they don't seem to fray too much. I love how people have found ways to make this project work for them. If I was to remake the ribbon I would use a combination of all these brilliant ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's a better idea to pink the edges first. That would probably of helped anyone else who made it and weren't all to pleased with the final product =D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great job. All of your ribbon looks great!
    Linda F.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very pretty! I thinking pinking the edges is the answer to these!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks so pretty all tied up in a bow - love your idea of using JR strips.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sorry that it didn't work out as you'd like. Still looks good to me. And I admire your willingness to give it a go!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great fabric choice, Debbie. I've passed on the last few Zakka projects, but I'm determined to get back in the game next week!

    ReplyDelete
  17. 6 1/2 yards? Girl you gave this a real good effort. Pretty fabric too!

    ReplyDelete