Thursday, July 26, 2012

Zakka Along Week 17 :: Delightful Linen Pouch

This week's Zakka project was an easy and quick little bag designed by Erleperle. Sukie, who happens to be one of the hosts of the Zakka sew-along, shared her version, and I was so impressed that it prompted her to try embroidery for the first time! Awesome!
I decided to go with more of a patchy, machine-stitched version. Not having the suggested interfacing on hand, and not understanding why it couldn't be fusible, I went ahead and used some of what I had - some feather-weight fusible. It seems to have worked fine, and really, next time I'd interface the front and back fabrics as well.
As Sukie says, the front is really a blank canvas, so the possibilities are endless. For my pouch, I densely stitched a square of lime Essex Linen onto the natural Essex front, using some organic straight-line. Then I just stitched around the square a couple of times, basically achieving some raw-edge appliqué of sorts. With the floral square, I continued with the raw-edge look, just stitching close to the edges a few times.
The pouch was simply constructed, though there was no way I was able to press my seams open, so curious how others did with this. And I ended up trimming about 1/8-1/4" off the top of the lining so it would sit down in the main bag smoothly. That might have been due to my seams being non-pressed, but it worked fine in the finished project.

My main disappointment over this finish is that I used more of the lovely floral for the lining, but it is basically hidden from view, the bag is so small. But I know it's in there, and it looks great! haha.
After rummaging through my Grandma's button tin, nothing seemed quite right, so I changed things up and added some natural twill tape ties instead.
I think this little pouch would make a perfect little gift bag. Wouldn't it look just as delightful with some actual patchwork on the front? I can definitely see myself stitching up this pattern again!

Linking up with LRstitched and T.N.T. Thursday.

21 comments:

  1. Oooh! everything may stop for making one of these on the weekend! I love your bright, happy version Debbie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a cute bag, Debbie! I like the little peek of the lining fabric coming out of the top, and the twill ties are a fun change!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is such an adorable pouch!!! Love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. iNSPIRING, WILL GET MINE DONE TO DAY SOMETIME BETWEEN ENTERTAINING GRANDKIDS HOPEFULLY

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cute - although I read it as patchy matchy for some reason!?

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cute! You can never have enough little pouches!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very pretty! I haven't looked at the book in a wee while, but maybe I need to now...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Delightful indeed! I love the addition of the twill ties.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it! And sometimes you just need a pop of bright fabric in the lining that only you know is there. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is so cute! love your front design and the addition of ties instead of a button =D

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think your pouch is lovely and I agree, tis a shame that lovely lining is hidden from view. But more importantly - you have grannie's button tin - how lucky are you?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really like your version!
    To press the seams flat, I laid it on one side, and folded the seam allowance for that side up and towards the body of the bag, then pressed them. Then I turned it over and did the same with the seam allowance on the other side. Did that make sense? I feel like I described it horribly!
    Would've been easier if I had one of those pressing rolls, but I only have a ham and that was too big.

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh, so cute! I love the texture you created with your stitches on the lime fabric :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is so pretty Debbie, I love your version. This is another one of my favorites from the book.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very cute and it would make a lovely gift bag.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh I'm in love with the floral fabric! Super cute little bag. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the fabric you used for the lining too! I had to cut my lining down a bit so that it would fit too. I'd love to try this pattern again!

    ReplyDelete
  18. pretty version of the bag. I'm making mine a bit bigger.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful! I love the green and the quilting and then that flower is the perfect finish. So pretty!

    ReplyDelete