Thursday, January 3, 2013

So Much Randomness

It's been one of those weeks where I've had to make choices. When I've had a free moment, do I answer email, scroll through my reader, or actually sew! I've usually chosen option one or three, so I am waaaay behind on blog reading. But I did catch the exciting news that Leanne/shecanquilt is taking over the helm of the Finish-A-Long that Rhonda/quilter in the gap has been spearheading. The FAL has been a huge motivator for me, so I definitely will be participating again in 2013.

As part of the FAL, there was a really good article posted today, "Start the New Year without the WIP Guilt." It's by Kelly of blue bird Sews, and is thoughtfully written, motivating yet practical. I strongly advise you to go read it and I'd love to hear your thoughts.
she can quilt

I also caught that Camille Roskelley has published five new patterns (I really enjoyed her Swoon and Hopscotch!) and I'm especially fond of fireworks.

And another thing I saw on her post was a new pre-cut from Moda, Honeycomb. Now I'm not a huge hexie user, but I know alot of you are, and these do look pretty fun in Camille's new "happy-go-lucky"!


Meanwhile, over on Instagram, it's been all about the #scrappytripalong, or in other words, the Scrappy Trip Along! It's like one day (December 29 according to i'm a ginger monkey) there was one or two scrappy trip around the world blocks, and next thing I knew, they were in every other post! I have serious scrap issues, and had already planned some scrap reduction for January (specifically Metrolink), but gee whiz, I couldn't resist! I'm being loyal to a few wips I really want to finish, but have also managed to make two #scrappytripalong blocks so far.
I kind of sense I have more than enough scraps for both quilts and may just work on piecing them simultaneously as I cut up my scraps. We'll see. Meanwhile, consider joining in! And btw, I enjoyed Megan/lucy and norman's post about the #scrappytripalong - she gives lots of details and pics of her lovely blocks!

There's also a Scrappy Swoon Quilt Along starting up with Hopeful Homemaker. I'll for sure at least be watching this one - isn't it fun?

One last little thing for today - a sneak peek of my Binary quilt - one of the {FAL} wips mentioned above. Just finished binding it tonight and put it in for a quick wash. So it's all crinkly and finished. Hope to get some real pics tomorrow, as time is running out!

Linking up with Really Random Thursday.

13 comments:

  1. I completely get your dilemma--most of December I ended up sewing and not doing any reading, hardly any email. It's hard to do it all. I purchased a couple of Camille's patterns--they are so cool. And I'm totally addicted to the scrappy trip-along, however for right now I will stop with nine blocks--and it isn't scrappy. In fact, it CREATED scraps instead of busting them. What??

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is hard to do it all- read blogs, comment, reply to comments AND sew! Do what you can because I'm sure everyone understands! Looking forward to seeing Binary in all its quilted glory!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you on that dilemma, I'm trying to only read at mealtimes so I can make the most of my last few days before heading back to work on Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh, thanks for the heads-up on the patterns! I fell in love with Swoon but never got around to making one. Fireworks looks like it's definitely on my to do list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really love those new patterns too and also metrolink looks wonderful. I am so glad you will join the FAL. And yesterday I caved and started a scrappy trip, and joined instagram too, startitis again here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everything looks wonderful Debbie. I saw the pre-cut hexies the other night and nearly fell over. We will be ordering those in for sure!!! Never enough hexies!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree that the guilt free wips post was really helpful food for thought and a great start to the new year. Oh, you too! everyone is trippin' but me... I don't like getting left behind especially when I'm just tiring to be disciplined - which is rare.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just love your blog. So much inspiration for a new quilter, like myself. I wish I had scraps to make a scrappy quilt. I have only been quilting about a year and haven't accumulated a big stash like most people!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just love your blog. So much inspiration for a new quilter, like myself. I wish I had scraps to make a scrappy quilt. I have only been quilting about a year and haven't accumulated a big stash like most people!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lots of good stuff here Debbie! I started the scrappy trip around the world too! Can't resist a good scrap quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm right with you on the "how do I spend my few minutes of free time" dilemma. Great post on WIPs -- I think there's some serious wisdom there. Everywhere I look, there seem to be posts on editing/curating/prioritizing in the new year -- focusing on the things that matter most and letting go of the guilt that comes with trying to do and have it all. That's really becoming my focal point this year, and I think it will serve me well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really love the Fireworks pattern too - your scrappy trip along blocks look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. i love that scrappy swoon. freaking awesome!

    ReplyDelete