Friday, May 17, 2013

Blogger's Quilt Festival :: HST Love {Group/Bee Quilt}

In looking back over the quilts I'd made in the last several months, I chose HST Love to share for the Blogger's Quilt Festival because I love how it turned out, and I'm darned proud of it.

It was created with the help of my bee-mates of FAITH Circle of the charity bee do.Good StitchesI asked them each to make two 18 1/2" blocks consisting of four 9 1/2" half-square triangle blocks. Our fabric of choice was cool solids with medium gray and white, and blocks were made up in a variety of configurations .
I confess I love big blocks, and yes, it made this quilt a cinch to piece together. Which was ok, as it was the quilting that really took some time. I selected a diagonal path down through the quilt, and then echoed that with straight-line quilting at 3/4" intervals. Aurifil 50wt was my thread choice throughout, light gray for piecing and white for quilting.
There were enough blocks to piece a colorful backing. (Note this photo was taken after the quilt was washed and crinkly - oh, the softness!)
A scrappy binding seemed to be in order, so I chose several cool and gray solids to piece together.
This happened to be my first quilt as a quilter for do.Good, after 18 months as a stitcher. Of course, that's one of the reasons this quilt was such a joy. And after admiring similar hst quilts across the internet, it was a special pleasure to finally create one myself. The quilt finished at 54"x72", and was delivered to FAITH Circle's current charity, Restore Innocence, which helps young women who have been rescued from human trafficking. A fitting finish to a satisfying process.


Spring Blogger's Quilt Festival - AmysCreativeSide.com

My previous entries in the Blogger's Quilt Festival:
Hopscotch, 5/19/12
Mango Revisited, 10/28/11
Supernova, 5/13/11

Linking up with the Blogger's Quilt Festival in the Group or Bee Quilts category.

20 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this quilt again Debbie! It is still one of my all-time favourites! It is inspiring me to put a triangle quilt on top of my 'to-do' list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi There,That is a magnificent quilt!!!The colors remind me of a forest by the sea and a beach strewn with sea glass!!!Have a wonderful weekend!!!
    Love
    AMarie

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's still one of my all time faves too - the colours are so beautiful and I have to make a solid HST quilt! Congrats to you and the other members of the circle - it's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great one to share, Debbie! Love those colours!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The colors you chose for this are so wonderful! LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love everything about this quilt, the colours, the random placement, the quilting, all of it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They will be wanting you as a quilter all the time now ; ) lovely work Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  8. amazing job! Love this quilt! Congrats

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome to see this one again Debbie. I love the little shots of orangey/yellow in there!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great quilting choices... I love seeing this one again!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay, glad you chose this one as your entry, I'm sure it's being well appreciated by its new owner :o)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a great quilt Debbie, one of my favorite favorite bee quilts for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this quilt - fab festival entry!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh yes, I love this one! And so fun seeing the crinkly difference in the before/after. Excellent quilt, Debbie!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think I love this more and more every time I see it - great work :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is one of my favourites of yours too Debbie - love the solid HSTs and the dense quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's perfect in every way. I love your colour choices and the simplicity of the HST.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great entry. Lots of luck. The color choices set off the HST to their fullest. It iwll bring a bit of joy to the life of its new owner.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hey Deb,
    I LOVE this quilt so much!!! I have this on my to do list - hopefully sooner than later :) How have things been? I haven't talked to you in forever :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is stunning Deb - 'pinning' right now for posterity!

    ReplyDelete