Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Discovering Slice and Insert

Yes, it's Tuesday. But I'm pushing away from the table to share about my most excellent day yesterday! I had the awesome opportunity to take a workshop from Katie Pedersen and Jacquie Gering, coauthors of Quilting Modern. The workshop itself was entitled "Slice and Dice Workshop/Slice and Insert Technique and Projects" based on a chapter in their book.
I know Katie from previous classes and the SMQG, but I had never met Jacquie, though her Seattle trunk show I attended three years ago was what opened my eyes to the modern quilting movement. So it was a special treat to spend the day and learn from them both.
They brought so many awesome quilts to demonstrate techniques, it was like a mini quilt show.
And to have them present as a duo was just plain delightful.
Before long, we got down to the business of creating. I chose to work with a background of Carolina Chambray in Natural, the first time I'd used it (nice!); then a Field Study multi-colored floral and an unknown Kona green for my insert fabrics. I started with 8" background blocks, and tried to incorporate different techniques in each block. This kind of piecing requires playing with your strip placement, and for me, just staring at it a bit before I actually cut and sewed! But it was very fun, and I got plenty of affirmation, so I'm anxious to do a few more blocks and see where this goes. Here's what I have so far. (We were testing the green as a background, thus the interestingness on the design wall.)

Anyway, it was a wonderfully fun day, one I won't soon forget! If you've done some improv, I'd love to hear about it!

27 comments:

  1. What a treat to meet the both. I have discovered modern quilting, just some months ago and have started to take a class with Jaquie on Craftsy. She is such a wonderful teacher and I hope that I could introduce some of my quiting friends to modern quilts.
    The modern quilting has not yet been introduced among the quilters in Sweden.
    Thanks for sharing your adventure

    ReplyDelete
  2. So envious!! What an amazing day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh you are so lucky having this great ladies around you! These quilts look great. Your minis are great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi There, What a wonderful time!!!Lovely work!!!Have a great week!!!
    Love
    AMarie

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds so interesting. That´s really sad that I have never seen workshops like this here in Germany or better in Berlin. cool!

    ReplyDelete
  6. love these! I haven't done anything like that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, you lucky girl! I took/watched Jacquie's Craftsy class. I haven't tried this technique yet, but I'm itching to get started. Your blocks are so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That sounds like such a fun day! So glad you got to experience it. Those blocks look great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad you were able to take the class and learn right from two terrific talents.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Debbie, how wonderful that you got to enjoy such a lovely day. Your blocks are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like a wonderful class. Good for you to learn from such talented ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks great! I've done blocks like this a few times and what I always struggle with is getting the strips to line back up once they're sliced and a new strip is inserted. But maybe that shouldn't be such a worry, since it is improv? I don't know!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great day you had. Wonderful blocks. Will they be samples for you to look back at or will you use them as a foundation for something bigger?

    ReplyDelete
  14. You lucky girl.....what an enjoyable time!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is one thing I haven't done but I am interested! The blocks look very fun!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good times, Debbie! Here's to more improv. Looking forward to seeing how you put these blocks together.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I was on the island this weekend and had been considering going to the class, but ended up back on the ferry Monday morning instead.

    I really liked the sample quilt they had in the shop for the class (more than the one in the "ad" for the class) so I wish I'd known slice and dice could be so versatile - it looks like fun, and I can't wait to see how your project turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great improve! I love it. I have done some but in a more pull pieces out of the bin and sew them together kind of thing. I need to try it with less pattern and more solid.

    ReplyDelete
  19. That does look like a fun day! I would love to take a class with these two, 12 hours stuck in the loft with their book totally inspired me!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow! This looks like so much fun. I love your blocks, those colors are wonderful together.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your blocks look amazing - I haven't really done much improv but it looks like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Jacquie's pretty special isn't she? Especially when you consider how few years she's been quilting, and what her background is. I met her when she was still president of the Kansas City MQG - a very nice lady. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the workshop. I understand she's going to be in our area - Orlando - later this summer. Your blocks are great!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yay!!! So great you could take this class, and how come I didn't know you live in Seattle?!? So close! Your blocks look fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Very cool! That would really stretch my brain to think outside the box. Sounds like a great workshop!

    ReplyDelete
  25. wow, what a wonderful day! glad you got to spend time with two super amazing ladies :D

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love your fabric choices, Debbie! And wasn't it such a treat to take that class?? I didn't get the added pleasure of meeting and working with Katie, but had a great time in class with Jacquie last week!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh . . .I'm so jealous. I saw they were teaching together and knew it would be a great class. Been meaning to tell you that I finally made a 3zip pouch. We all made one at our last sew day of the new Boulder Modern Guild. A very clever technique.

    ReplyDelete