Friday, May 3, 2013

Polaroid Progress

Once upon a time, I hosted the *Picture-Perfect* Polaroid Block Swap, and by the time it was over, I had amassed 205(!) blocks from all around the world. Why I don't already have a Polaroid quilt all stitched up, I have no idea. But now's the time.

Enlisting the help of the Always Bee Learning bee, a Polaroid quilt is this month's project as I take my turn as hostess. As references, I've shared this Polaroid primer by capitolaQuilter and this gallery full of block layouts.

So the plan? I've sent each bee member 9 Polaroid blocks + 2 1/2" strips of three black or black and white fabrics. I'm asking that they 'frame' each Polaroid block and then create one large block with them all. My primary adaption from the original instructions is to trim each framed block to 6 1/2" rather than the 4 1/2" suggested. Here's my sample block which measures 18 1/2" square:

My bee-mates are being given free reign - to either make a block very similar in layout to mine - or to use a placement inspired by the gallery or their own imagination. Either way, I'm looking forward to seeing a Polaroid quilt finally take shape.

25 comments:

  1. That's brilliant. Finish it up with a little help from your friends!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! I also still have my stack of polaroids...just waiting for some inspiration....thanks for the help!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! I really like this idea for using these blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute! I just had my bee mates make Polaroids without the background and I didn't know what I wanted to do next, but I think I just found inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  5. the larger spacing really shows off the polaroids well - I'm just as guilty of having stacks of these wonderful blocks and not a single finished project to show for it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I love these blocks!!! The quilt will look awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your blocks are awesome! I love that gray sketchy fabric - what is that? You're going to have a great quilt when you get that finished!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Where is that Llama print from?! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This will be one amazing quilt Debbie!

    ReplyDelete
  10. this is going to be such a fun quilt. Love all the pretty fussy cut centers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Really cute! I need some Golden Gate Bridge fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  12. great idea! I can't wait to see it all done

    ReplyDelete
  13. Can't wait to see this! I need to get going on my Polaroid quilt as well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great quilt this is going to bee!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very cunning plan, sharing the sashing pain :oD

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great idea! I want to make some polaroid blocks and just haven't taken the time to do so yet. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is going to be fabulous, Debbie!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oooh, now this is a great way to get it done! I was thinking plain grey, but I love the way it looks in B&W prints....and I have a whole box of those! And a great way for you to get unique layouts!

    ReplyDelete
  19. The polaroids will look fabulous with the B&W fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I can't wait, that block looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Looks so great, Debbie! I'm still holding my little, sweet blocks - waiting for a special idea to use them. x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  22. They look so cool with the different sashing, great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  23. i like the fabric you chose to sash around the polaroids. this will be fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I CAN NOT wait to see the finsh quilt. I have a Granddaughter who is really into taking pictures and would love to do something like this for her. Patti

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh I LOVE it with this background!

    ReplyDelete