Friday, October 25, 2013

Blogger's Quilt Festival :: Crazy Rainbow {ROYGBIV Quilt}

It's my pleasure to introduce you to Crazy Rainbow, my entry in the ROYGBIV Quilts category of the Blogger's Quilt Festival. It was made expressly for my secret partner in the Mini Quilt Swap, and will be on its way to her in the next few days. 
I'd been itching to made a churn dash quilt ever since seeing HoosierToni's double. And then I decided why not make a triple? Which was just perfect for the rainbow I had in mind for my swap partner. And the crazy idea to crazy-piece? I have no idea where that came, except quite possibly my overflowing scrap basket! It was time-consuming to say the least, and after the first red-orange-yellow block, I really wasn't sure if I should continue. But encouraged along by my Instagram buddies, I forged ahead and am super happy I did.
Though the quilt front had many fans, there were also a few who felt it needed more contrast. I love the hazy look of it but with a nod to the others I pieced another triple for the backing, only this time in solids.

The back set on an angle, the mini is quilted with a wonky spiral using King Tut "Jacob's Coat". Rather than traditional binding, I used Elizabeth/OccasionalPiece-Quilt!'s tutotial for a faced binding.

I'm pretty sure this was a first for me, and it went together really well. I love the clean look of the borderless finished front.
When doing a swap project such as this, I often use it as an opportunity to try something new or come up with my own interpretation of a design. So creating Crazy Rainbow was a gratifying journey of discovery, one I'm happy to have traveled on.

Quilt stats:
Finished size: 23" square
Pattern: churn dash, beginning with this tutorial
Fabric: front is entirely pieced with scraps; 
backing in Kona Cotton Solids in Tomato, Orange, Canary, Grass Green, Peacock, 
Marine, & Dark Violet;
Faced binding: Timeless Treasures Rain Basic in Black
Quilted by: myself, using a walking foot 
 Category: ROYGBIV Quilts

My previous entries in the Blogger's Quilt Festival:
HST Love, 5/17/13
Hopscotch, 5/19/12
Mango Revisited, 10/28/11
Supernova, 5/13/11

Blogger's Quilt Festival - AmysCreativeSide.com

Also linking up with Finish It Up FridayFabric Tuesday, & Little Quilt Monday. This project was on my Q4 FAL list!

39 comments:

  1. Oooooh I am in LOVE with this quilt---churn dash is my favorite block and I love the three in one---great job, girl. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it, Debbie! I don't think I've ever faced a quilt. It was the perfect choice for this piece.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really nice. I did not really see the pattern on front but I don't mind since I just enjoy those colors in order. I also love your pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful Churn & Dash! Love it amongst the red leaves :) We have so much fun displaying our proud products, don't we? Glad to find a blogger from the Pacific NW to follow!

    http://sewcraftychick.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. This quilt is so fun and the back is a wonderful surprise. I am inspired to start making made fabric from my scraps for this kind of project. I love the quilting on it too and the faced binding works so nicely. A beautiful entry into the festival.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your photography for this fun quilt is beautiful--love the chain link fence particularly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really cool, Deb. I love the duality of front vs back. Probably could really be front vs. front, right?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love how bright and cheerful this is! Great work :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great mini, Debbie! I love how you mirrored it on the back, too. I was so sucked into the colour riot on the front, I almost didn't see the churn dashes until I saw the back. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have really enjoyed following the making of this quilt on IG and I love the finished result!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It finished up so great Debbie! Front & back are equally nice....maybe depending what kind of mood you're in. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this little reversible quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This quilt is double amazing! I love both the front and back...BEAUTIFUL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You're brilliant Debbie and this is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great colors! I love orange! Good luck with the competition,
    Esther
    esthersipatchandquilt at yahoo dot com
    ipatchandquilt dot wordpress dot com

    ReplyDelete
  16. It turned out wonderful! Love the contrast of design on front and back!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your colorful rainbow churndashes are awesome Debbie!!! Love the two versions on the two sides. Your partner will be thrilled to receive it I am sure.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is such an amazing mini - love both sides!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Aye Debbie, this s a fantastic idea and the result is totally awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great quilt story. I love the crazy colours on the front but I also love the way the block pops with the plain colours on the back.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a fun quilt...so creative. You sure surprised me that it was reversible!

    ReplyDelete
  22. that's great! I love the scrappy rainbowness of the front!

    ReplyDelete
  23. A traditional block made very modern-- what a fun quilt! I love the rainbow of scrappy piecing and how the back echoes the front. Nifty! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. The quilt is lovely, but I do adore the autumn leaves on the trees in the background of your photos. It's my favourite time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Not only is this just amazing in itself, but I love how many risks you took with it. From the design, to the back to the quilting in variegated threads, to the faced binding, you went all out and with big rewards. Great job, Debbie!

    ReplyDelete
  26. It turned out so beautifully!! I know it took lots of time but the awesome results are SO worth it. You've got a very lucky partner!

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is lovely! The front looks SO complicated!!! The back is equally as beautiful. Great work! I'm so glad your IG friends kept you going.
    - Katelyn @ Sing While Crafting

    ReplyDelete
  28. How fun! We were just learning about the spectrum of color this week in school. =) Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  29. LOVE this! I'm still hemming and hawing over my mini. :P

    ReplyDelete
  30. LOVE the colors! all the colors of the rainbow, but in a non-traditional format, awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  31. This is such a great little quilt! I'm a rainbow lover since I was a kid! Love churn dash blocks too!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wow. Two quilts in one! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love everything about this mini!

    ReplyDelete
  34. the rainbow churn dash back is so fun! Thanks for linking up to the Other Side of the Quilt.

    ReplyDelete